Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to drill rivnut into aluminium flyscreen frame?

FredWork
Growing in Experience

How to drill rivnut into aluminium flyscreen frame?

Hello,

I have a requirement to replace flyscreens in my unit. They are very old and the window tracks unfortunately aren't of a size that will accommodate 9mm or 12mm flyscreen frames 

The problem is that the metallic window frame is not suitable for  drilling holes into, so I don't think I can install swivel clips or drill spring clip holes in the window.

Currently, the flyscreen is pretty much hanging on the window using swivel clips that are, I'd say, very crudely attached to the flyscreen frame. If I remove the flyscreen, it's almost impossible to put it back up again.

My plan:

Install rivnuts into a new aluminium flyscreen frame so I can reliably screw clips into the nuts.

Is this possible? I tried drilling holes into a scrap frame, but seems like drilling is "crumpling" the aluminium on the hollow part inside the frame. I get a hole, but the aluminium is kinda not in a state to accept a rivnut.

Any suggestions?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to drill rivnut into aluminium flyscreen frame?

Hello @FredWork 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us and thank you for sharing your question about your flyscreen.

In order for our members to get a better idea of what the window frame looks like, would it be possible for you to post a few photos of the steel window frame? Once we see what it looks like we'll be able to offer recommendations on how to possibly mount the flyscreen.

If you need a hand posting the photos, please let me know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
FredWork
Growing in Experience

Flyscreen pic 1.jpg

Flyscreen pic 2.jpg

FredWork
Growing in Experience

Thanks for the warm welcome @EricL .

I have attached pics of the flyscreen.

As you can see, the wider inner track is for the sliding glass window. I'm not sure what the thinner track is for (it's 7mm roughly)

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @FredWork,

It shouldn't take much pressure to drill into aluminium; the weight of the drill would be adequate. Try using less pressure to see if that prevents the frame from crumpling. Alternatively, try a new and sharp drillbit or a smaller-sized bit and then step it up to the correct size. If the increments suit your preferred hole size, using a stepped drill bit is also an option.

Please let me know how you go.

Mitchell

FredWork
Growing in Experience

Thanks @MitchellMc , I had stepped drill bits in mind, so that will be my next experiment.

Also, do you recommend hole saws for this purpose?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @FredWork,

Holesaws typically start much larger in size than what you likely need. They still employ a central drillbit, so I'd imagine there would be similar difficulties to overcome.

Mitchell

FredWork
Growing in Experience

Thanks @MitchellMc 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects