Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fill a hole in internal brick wall?

singy
Finding My Feet

How to fill a hole in internal brick wall?

Hi there, we just had an aircon split system removed from the wall leaving a 9x9cm hole (where the pipes and wires previously came through). It is a double brick wall and I am just looking to fill in the internal wall. The external wall was already taken care of.

One approach we thought of taking for the interior wall was to put a random brick to cover part of the hole, then use mortafil to fill the gaps and finally get some putty to smooth over it and finish off with paint. Is this the right approach for a super novice DIYer? Picture attached. 

Thank you!

01215FD0-147B-41DF-B0BE-7FD0D58AFF6C.jpeg

wooshka
Making a Splash

Re: Fill a hole in internal brick wall

Hi @singy , is that a fast wall brick we are looking at? or plaster boar, bit hard to tell 

Thanks @wooshka

I have attached another pic. Not sure if its fastwall or regular (vertical core?) brick. Its a townhouse built around mid ‘90s. 

1F3A6591-A592-434D-A5F4-0F48C0100A36.jpeg

Hi @singy , if it was me i would fill the hole with a mortar mix and let it dry for a few weeks , then skim over with some plaster 

the longer it can dry the less chance of cracking

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @singy. It's brilliant to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about repairing a hole in a brick wall.

It's great to see that @wooshka has assisted and provided a solution.  You could certainly fill the hole with mortar or a half brick and mortar and then cover over it with plaster

Please let us know if you have further questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks @wooshka will give that a go.

And thanks also to @MitchellMc for the links. Can I just confirm that I should be getting the mortar powder as opposed to premade/pre-mixed ones?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Either is fine, @singy. The pre-mixed is more convenient, but if you plan to fill the whole hole, the powder will be more economical.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects