Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fill concrete holes?

Elly4
Finding My Feet

How to fill concrete holes?

20240523_104519.jpg

 I had a flood in one of my bedrooms. The window goes to the floor and seals have come away from the window frame at the bottom. There are also holes in the concrete floor close to the window frame. The biggest one measures 2cm across and about 20cms deep.  I have Sellys 3 in 1 Sealant to seal the window frame but what would I need to fill in the concrete holes. Would appreciate any help - Elly

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to fill concrete holes

Hello @Elly4 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about patching concrete holes.

I suggest using Earl's 500g Concremate Expanding Cement in combination with Pro Renovator 50mm Plastic Scraper. I suggest mixing only what you need to cover the smaller holes, but to fill the large one it might be necessary to mix a larger batch.

Please remember to wear personal protection such as gloves and goggles when using the filler.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Elly4
Finding My Feet

Thank you Eric.  Appreciate your reply so much. The larger hole near the frame seems to go under the window - will the cement just pour down the hole and find the level it needs to fill.  Also there is some soft plastic like sealant left at one end where the frame meets the concrete what would be the best method of getting this off ? Elly

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Elly4 

Yes, you can mix the concrete filler into a very soft mix and pour it down the hole. Please keep in mind that if the hole is too deep you might need more filler to cover the depth. In regards to the plastic sealant between the window and the concrete, please do not remove it as it is probably a silicone sealant. 

Would it be possible for you to take a photo of the sealant? This will give our members a better idea of what it looks like. We can then make recommendations if it is possible to preplace.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Elly4
Finding My Feet

Re: How to fill concrete holes?

Thanks Eric

20240524_192310.jpg

 Thanks Eric.

The gray area between the frame and the floor is whats left of the sealant. Its a soft pliable material which had been fixed up against the frame and along the floor.  Elly

Elly4
Finding My Feet

20240524_192310.jpg

 The gray area between the frame and the concrete floor is whats left of the sealant. It had been fixed between the frame and to run along the floor in one continuous piece but only half of it remains.  Elly

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Elly4 

It's probably silicone and you can remove it by using a metal scraper such as the UNi-PRO 50mm Real Good Paint Scraper. Was the room originally carpeted or did you use laminate flooring? 

Eric

Elly4
Finding My Feet

Hi Eric

It was carpeted and am waiting for new to be installed.  Fortunately I had insurance but the maintenance part of it I need to do myself and with not a clue so thank you so much for your help.

Cheers, Elly

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Elly4 

Please remember to post an update, we look forward to seeing the room re-carpeted.

Eric

Elly4
Finding My Feet

Hi Eric

20240525_121504.jpg

 Hi Eric

I have purchased the Earls expanding cement.  After scraping all the silicone sealant from the window frame (shown in the pic) it has revealed deep holes under the frames. Will the expanding cement work for these holes. I have only 500g and may need more.

Elly

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects