Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fill drill holes in front door?

sunillinus20
Growing in Experience

How to fill drill holes in front door?

Hello experts,

Any suggestions on how to fix/fill/coverup this hole as per the photo which is on the front door.

I removed the existing door handle as I need to install a new one. Also I might have to drill a new hole next to it (perhaps less than 7mm next to this fi× this hole).

Please help.

20221118_162054.jpg

20221118_161928.jpg

  

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Fill up drill holes in fron door

Hello @sunillinus20

Thank you for sharing your question about filling up the drill holes in your door. I suggest trying this method, get a popsicle stick and some string. Trim the popsicle stick and cut it in half and trim it down until it can fit inside the hole. Tie the string in the middle of the stick and put some PVA glue on one side. Slide the stick into the hole and pull on it so that the side with the glue on sticks to the back of the door panel.

Wait for the glue to dry a bit and leave it alone until it cures. Once the glue is dry gently cut the string off and you can begin filling the hole with Parfix 1kg Ready To-Use Multipurpose Filler in combination with Pro Renovator 38mm Plastic Scraper. Once the filler cures, sand it down and paint it over.

Here is a handy step-by-step guide: How to fix a hole in the wall

I've placed a sketch below to give you an idea of how the popsicle stick should be positioned inside the door. Please have a look and tell me what you think.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
sunillinus20
Growing in Experience

Hi EricL,

Thank you for responding and for feedback.

But the hole is on my front door and so wondering the purpose of the popsicle stick and to use string.

As this front door of the house, I am thinking it would not look good with the popsicle stick even if coloured. 

So would there be another way to fill up the hole.

Regards,

Sunil.

Hi @sunillinus20,

The popsicle stick is pushed inside the door and pulled back against the inside of the front door skin with the string. The applied glue adheres the stick in place. You won't be able to see it once you've filled the hole as it's on the inside of the door. The purpose of the popsicle stick is to prevent your filler from falling inside the door.

Is this door hollow inside, or is it a solid-core door? Traditionally exterior doors are solid-core. If it has a solid core, you could fill the hole without needing the popsicle stick.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects