Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to finish Pre-Oiled SpecRite 2200 x 600 x 26mm Brown Acacia Multi Use Panel?

Armankian
Finding My Feet

How to finish Pre-Oiled SpecRite 2200 x 600 x 26mm Brown Acacia Multi Use Panel?

Hi There,

I have made an L-shaped office table using the following product:

• SpecRite 2200 x 600 x 26mm Brown Acacia Multi Use Panel

Please see the attached photos. We will be using this table on a day-to-day basis for work from home.

When I purchased these panels, it was mentioned that they are "pre-oiled". But when looking at the instructions, it seems I should apply additional coatings before installations (instructions appear to be general for all SpecRite products).

I was not aware of such coatings (this was my 1st DIY woodwork), hence I went online and learnt about varnish, stain, oil, wax etc. but I also came across 2 conversations that were mentioning it is not "a must" but additional coating will further protect the tabletops.

I am now here to seek advice whether I should apply additional coatings before use, or these pre-oiled panels are ready to use with some levels of protection, and if in future scratches and stains appear, I can sand them and apply coatings then.

Thanks!photo_1_2024-01-16_23-39-40.jpgphoto_2_2024-01-16_23-39-40.jpgphoto_3_2024-01-16_23-39-40.jpgphoto_4_2024-01-16_23-39-40.jpgphoto_5_2024-01-16_23-39-40.jpgphoto_6_2024-01-16_23-39-40.jpg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to finish Pre-Oiled SpecRite 2200 x 600 x 26mm Brown Acacia Multi Use Panel?

Looks like you've done a brilliant job @Armankian. Well done.

Let me tag one of our resident D.I.Y. experts @EricL for his thoughts on whether he would add any extra protection to the panel. 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us and we look forward to reading more about your projects and plans for around the house and garden.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to finish Pre-Oiled SpecRite 2200 x 600 x 26mm Brown Acacia Multi Use Panel?

Hello @Armankian 

My son has the exact same work top that you do. If I'm not mistaken it is three years old and it is still doing very well. Because it is in an enclosed environment inside the house the oil in the benchtop is evaporating at a slow rate. If this were out in the sun the oil would be gone in a matter of weeks. 

If you wish to seal the benchtop, it will be necessary to sand the benchtop back to timber. The pre-oil is just on the surface of the benchtop and is not very deep. But it's thick enough that it will prevent any new coating to be absorbed. Once the surface has been sanded thoroughly, it will need to be wiped down and you can then paint it with your choice of sealer.

I propose having a look at the Cabot's 500ml Satin Water Based Cabothane Clear Polyurethane Timber Varnish, it's designed for benchtop use and is easy to apply.

Here is a handy step-by-step guide: How to restore wooden furniture (the techniques used are applicable to your work panel)

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

Thanks @EricL.

Would you recommend using the table as it is (i.e. pre-oiled)? Or this sort of protection layer is not good for day-to-day use and would you recommend a proper protection such as varnish before use?

Cheers,

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Armankian 

It all comes down to your preference. The table can be used as is, but if you are not keen on the natural surface of the wood and would prefer a smooth finish then sealing it would be the way to go. 

The pre-oiled panels service life will depend on how much use it gets, how roughly its treated or if coffee or wine stains are left on its surface. At some point parts of the surface table will begin to fade due to constant use. It is a natural product and sections of it will behave differently. This will be your signal to sand the surface down and re-seal the panel.    

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Thanks @EricL. This has been super helpful. I have started using the tables.

Cheers,

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects