Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix a noisy ceiling fan vibrating noise?

vng
Getting Established

How to fix a noisy ceiling fan vibrating noise?

How do I fix a noisy ceiling fan that's making a humming noise (Vibration noise) ? 

For some reason, it only makes creates this loud humming sound when it's on the mid speed setting and goes away whenever I either turn up the speed to high or the speed to lowest which means that the mid setting is never usable.

Is there some part it needs tightening ?

Arlec ceiling fan with light and remote  - I have the smaller version with remote

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to fix a noisy ceiling fan vibrating noise?

Hi @vng 

Thanks for sharing your question about your noisy ceiling fan. A mechanical problem will often reveal itself in any of the three general speeds. But since it only shows itself on mid speed, I suspect that it could be due to an electrical issue. There could be a wiring issue inside the fan, or the motor could be going bad.

I suggest engaging the services of a registered electrician and have them diagnose it. They'll be able to tell if there is something is wrong with the switch, wiring or fan itself. 

However, should you decide to replace the ceiling fan itself, please note that the store does offer a Ceiling Fan Installation Service. I suggest visiting your local store and having a look at the ceiling fans available.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
vng
Getting Established

Hi Eric, is it an electrical fault ? As if I were to hold it up alittle whilst on that setting, the vibration stops. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @vng 

It is difficult to guess what the issue is at this point as the interior of the ceiling fan is sealed. Even if you were to discover the fault inside the fan such as a worn bearing or a loose motor mount there would be no spare parts for it. The only option will be to replace the ceiling fan. However, if it is an electrical problem, you'll still need a registered electrician to inspect the connections. It could be the fan switch that is causing the problem, there might be a problem with the wiring.

I understand that it is very tempting to try and fix it, but keep in mind that this is a high voltage appliance. In the interest of health and safety, it's best to let the professional trades have a look at it.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects