Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix a water-damaged ceiling?

hesamshimi
Cultivating a Following

How to fix a water-damaged ceiling?

Hello

After the recent years I have seen this water damage line on my ceiling with paint blistering. Any comment on how to fix this will be appreciated.

Cheers 

1000020560.jpg

1000020564.jpg

1000020561.jpg

1000020567.jpg

  

Akanksha
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: How to fix a water-damaged ceiling?

Thanks for your question on repairing a water-damaged ceiling, @hesamshimi. I'm sure our resident Bunnings D.I.Y. expert @EricL will be happy to assist as soon as he can.

While waiting, I recommend checking out our step-by-step guide on How to repair a water-damaged ceiling. It contains handy tips that can help you get started.

Akanksha

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Afternoon @hesamshimi 

Bugger comes to mind 😕 Have you had a look in the ceiling space to see if you can see any water pooling or driplines? It would probarly be an idea to see whats causing this before you go to the effort to fix it (shouldnt be a hard fix btw)

It looks like it could be a join between sheets of plasterboard and the water in the ceiling space has seeped through at the join causing the paint to flake. I get random spots on my ceiling due to drips, tho havnt seen a long straight line and thats what makes me think there could be water in your ceiling space at times. Do you notice water drips appearing along the line at all? Especially when it rains?

To fix (once you have the potential water issue solved) You can sand the line of paint back and then repaint, if there are any divets maybe because of the water you can fill them with plaster and then sand smooth. Only bad part aboutthis job is sanding over your head. Id suggest to wear a mask so as not to breath in the plaster dust and cover any furniture/tvs with a paint drop sheet.

Dave

hesamshimi
Cultivating a Following

Thanks for info mate

Yes true, I went to the roof space and saw water in between 2 plaster boards, after the rains these days it happened. I have someone coming to look at the roof tiles, probably pointing is leaking as I didn't see any water marks on the tiles from inside. At the moment I put a turf inside the roof in case it rains again.

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

@hesamshimi 

:smile: On the way to getting it fixed is always a good feeling. One way to find a leak and they can be a pain is to follow discolouration of the timber beams from bottom to the top or even look for tiny divits where drips have been falling for awhile. I had a leak from an old antenna fixing point that I would have sworn was sealed but when it rained you could watch and see a drop form and "drip" :smile: 

Good luck

Dave

hesamshimi
Cultivating a Following

Thanks mate

The roof person told me that the leak was due to not having weep holes on the ridge cap and therefore in heavy rains water would get in. It would make sense as I was not able to find a tile with water mark so maybe tiles are not cracked or leaking. He drilled some weep holes in the ridge to stop this for now but advised me to do a proper repointing which I'm considering. I'll keep an eye in the next rain to see how this goes. Cheers 

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Evening @hesamshimi 

I must admit I havnt heard of weep hole sin ridge caps before? I will have to have an ask around. Always keen to learn new things :smile: 

Waiting but not waiting for the rain is always the hard part, hope it goes well :smile:

Dave

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @hesamshimi 

It's great that you've received excellent advice from @Dave-1. Finding that leak and having it repaired will stop water from accumulating in your ceiling gib.   

In regards to the repair, I suggest having a look at this discussion - Bathroom ceiling paint peeling by @gloriavee. You'll get excellent recommendations on how to repair the damage on your ceiling gib.

The general steps to repair are to sand the damage paint off and fill in any depressions with filler. Once the filler cures you then paint the bare plaster with a primer followed by ceiling paint of your choice.

Here is a handy step-by-step guide: How to paint a ceiling  

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects