Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix failing double hung windows?

JLT
Just Starting Out

How to fix failing double hung windows?

The double hung windows spiral balances appear to be failing , ie. the windows don’t hold up & return to the base of the window frame . In removing each unit , obviously one either side how do I determine whether the units are useless & actually require new

Secondly Bunnings list two , one > 7.2 Kg & one above 7.2 Kg. , I’d assume the 2.25 —7.2 would suffice on cedar double hung windows

Would appreciate a reply 

John 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to fix failing double hung windows?

Hi @JLT 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about fixing your double hung windows.

Usually when the window is lifted up the failing spiral will be loose and not hold the window up. It either leans to the left or the right. Unfortunately, the only way to tell is by observation, but if the window fails to stay up, there is the possibility that both spirals have expired. The 2.25 - 7.2kg unit should be enough to hold your cedar window frame. 

I recommend bringing one of the spirals to the store to make sure that it is similar in length and configuration. 

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
JLT
Just Starting Out

Re: How to fix failing double hung windows?

Good morning “ team “ , I’ve made direct contact with Whitlock , the spiral Mfr

Bunnings site & special orders desk have No Information on the actual length of these units . 
At any rate secured a Supplier number / part ref. no. from Whitlock , which now allows the order to be placed by Bunnings . 
All paid for & await a code number to allow pickup at Whitlock , other wise was advised it would be a week - 10 days to supply  . 
Regards 

John 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects