Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix shelf in place?

minhletn
Finding My Feet

How to fix shelf in place?

image.jpg

Hi,

what can I use to keep the shelf from moving in and out (beside gluing or nailing it in). It’s just rest on 4 bolts. I’m looking for a temporary way so I can move the shelf higher or lower later if required

thanks

image.jpg

BradN
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: How to fix shelf in place?

Hi @minhletn, and welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. We're glad to have you join us.

I wonder if you could use Velcro tape or Velcro dots on your shelves to stick them to the back of your cabinet.

You might first want to try sticking a small piece of the tape to an inconspicuous part of the cabinet to make sure that it doesn't damage the finish of the cabinet when you pull it off.

Our resident D.I.Y. expert @EricL will be back on the site this afternoon. I'm sure he will be able to give you the advice you need.

Cheers,

Brad

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @minhletn

It's great that you've received excellent advice from @BradN. Using velcro dots is a great way to keep the shelf from being pulled out. Just to add to the suggestions made. I recommend drilling stay channels in the shelf to prevent them from moving forwards or backward. You'll need a drill, drill bit and a craft knife to modify the shelf.

Place the shelf back into the cabinet and mark the position of the shelf pins with a pencil. Use your drill to drill a hole above the mark you made with a pencil. Cut the melamine with your craft knife to open up the channel. I've placed a sketch below to give you an idea of how to position the cutouts on your shelf. 

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
JDE
Becoming a Leader

I recently put together a better quality flat pack for my daughter. The shelf pins had a small stud that went into an indent in the bottom of the shelves so they couldn't slide out. This is a picture of a similar one on  ebay. You could drill a small indent in the bottom of shelf and replace existing pins. Just a suggestion JDE

Shelf pinShelf pin

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects