Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix the door that is damaged and split at the hinge?

colinweiren
Getting Established

How to fix the door that is damaged and split at the hinge?

The door is internal but is made of solid red cedar timber. It has been ripped off its bottom hinge (not sure how). The top hinge is still intact.

What is the best way to repair the damage/split so that the hinge can be screwed back?

(I have thought about filling the split with wood glue, but not sure whether it would support the door's weight...)

Many thanks in advance.

Colin

IMG_2961.jpegIMG_3004.jpeg

jaiprak
Having an Impact

Re: How to fix the door that is damaged and split at the hinge?

Drill the hole with next size drill bit and plug it with dowel and glue. Cut off excess dowel, drill new hole and screw.

start with the inner hole first and the outer edge

JacobZ95
Growing in Experience

Hey @colinweiren,

To add to this, it might be worth filling the cracks with wood glue such as Parfix 250ml PVA Wood Glue and clamping with something like Craftright 300mm 2 Piece Quick Action Clamp.

This will help you get the shape of the hinge rebate back to its original state before adding dowels like @Jai1 has said. 

Hope this helps,

Jacob

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @colinweiren,

Great to see you get fantastic advice from two experienced and helpful members.

Please let us know how you go with following their advice and please don't hesitate to post again if you need further assistance. 

We look forward to seeing the end result. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
colinweiren
Getting Established

I followed the instructions of both @jaiprak and @JacobZ95 and the end result is fantastic. Thanks for the great advice guys! Most appreciated. 

13B92BFC-FF8A-4CC4-A258-A6B0053CBF75.jpeg

Great work @colinweiren.

I'd recommend trying to use a slightly longer screw than what was there originally; they look a bit short to me. Unfortunately, to get a longer screw, it might jump you up to the next gauge, which has a larger head and might not countersink into the hinge plate as nicely. If you can even get a 5mm longer screw I think that would be advantageous.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects