Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix the skirting board?

genzoalma
Just Starting Out

How to fix the skirting board?

Hi i’m not sure what is this wooden edge, the window fell and hit this edges.

IMG_1049.jpeg

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: how to fix this wooden edge

Hi @genzoalma,

Thank you for your post and welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community.

The force of the window falling and hitting the skirting board has cracked the caulking used to fill the gap at the top of the board. Luckily, this is an easy fix that doesn't require many tools.

You should start by checking that the skirting board is still securely attached to the wall. If it is, then there's no need to add any additional fixings, but if it has loosened and you are concerned, you can add some Paslode 50 x 2.0mm Bright Steel Bullet Head Nails along the length of timber, sink them below the surface using a Craftright 3 Piece Nail Set Punch, fill the holes with Selleys Spakfilla Rapid Gap Filler, then sand using a Rocket Fine Sanding Sponge before painting over the top.

If you are happy that the skirting board is still securely fixed in place, you can skip these steps and simply replace the caulk. Start by removing the existing caulk using Monarch Caulk & Sealant Remover or a sharp utility knife. Remember to wear gloves, eye protection, enclosed shoes, long sleeves and long pants when using sharp tools to prevent any lacerations. Once the existing caulk is removed, you can reapply a bead of Selleys Ezi Press 170g No More Gaps, allow it to dry, then paint over the top.

You might like to check out our helpful D.I.Y article How To Silicone a Gap for an example of how to caulk a gap similar to this.

Let me know if you have any further questions or would like any further advice.

Jacob

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects