Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix this wall and install wallpaper?

MelMc
Finding My Feet

How to fix this wall and install wallpaper?

Hi All! Advice please! This room is a spare bedroom/office, built as an ad-on during the 80's by previous owners. I was thinking the wall (3 sides), could become a feature wall with wallpaper? What do you think? Also, how do I fix up the mess? I took off the old wallpaper, and hubby took of the metail railing, leaving behind holes and layers of material. Underneath the wallpaper I took off, there seems to be other layers of paint, thin cardboard type stuff, and even metal protruding on the corners. I've left it for almost a year like this, not knowing quite how to tackle the fix-up. Any guidance welcome. Thanks. 

20211230_150712.jpg

20211230_150548.jpg

20211230_150531.jpg

20211230_150513.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Wallpaper? & Wall Fix Advice Needed

Hi @MelMc,

It's great to see you post your first discussion and project. What you have there is plasterboard sheeting. It has a layer of paper on both sides to provide a smooth protective surface over the internal plaster. The paper layer is the cardboard you are seeing. On the corners, they've used Knauf 2400mm External 90 Degrees Plaster Trim Angle. This goes over the corner where the two sheets meet. It gives you a nice crisp corner to plaster over and blend back into the sheets. Without it, you'd end up with wonky corners.

I'd suggest the best place to start would be sanding back all the damaged areas that are protruding from the surface of the plasterboard. You can then fill the damaged portions with Gyprock CSR 2kg Rapid Patch and once that's dry and you've sanded it smooth, skimcoat the whole wall with Gyprock CSR 2.25kg Less Mess Topping Compound using a Spear & Jackson 280mm Soft Grip Plasterers Float.

You'll need to keep skimcoating and sanding back until you achieve a consistent flat finish to the wall.

If you haven't done any plastering before, you might wish to consider having a tradesperson come in to quote the job. It will probably only take them a couple of hours at most and might not be all that expensive.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks for the detailed feedback Mitchell! Much appreciated 🙂

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

I'm sure you'll have more questions once you start plastering. Shout out if you get stuck. We're here to help.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects