Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to flush mount chandelier?

jeen
Finding My Feet

How to flush mount chandelier?

I need to install a new flush mount chandelier weighing 5kg. It is replacing the existing oyster light. What kind of screws should I use to fix the cross bar bracket for the chandelier base. It comes with some screws but it doesn't look right for the plaster ceiling.( I am not sure). I am adding the provided screw picture and the product picture. It would be great if you could guide me through this. The electrician is installing it.

IMG20231110205824.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: The right screw for a flush mount chandelier

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @jeen. It's a pleasure to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about mounting a light fitting.

Could we trouble you for a picture of the included screws as I can't see them in the provided image? That would be really helpful in determining if they are suitable for plaster. If they are standard timber screws, then I'd suggest the intention is for this fitting to be screwed directly into the timber ceiling framing. Also, check your instructions for the installation to determine whether installing this fitting on plaster is recommended. If there is no reference to installation on plaster, then it would be best to contact the chandelier manufacturer to find out if this is an option.

Various plaster anchors could be used, but as mentioned, you'll need to confirm whether this is an appropriate fixing method from the manufacturer. Installing the fitting into timber will always be the most secure option. If this were one of our units, I'd be happy to contact the manufacturer for you.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi Mitchel, thank you for your help and advice.. 

IMG20231111163414.jpg

IMG20231111162729.jpg

  

jeen
Finding My Feet

I have uploaded the pictures of screws. There is no mention of the surface to install in the manual. thank you 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @jeen,

Those screws would be for timber, and the plugs are suitable for masonry fixing. I'd suggest that spring toggles would be one of the preferred methods for ceiling plasterboard installation if a convenient timber mounting point can not be located. They are rated for 10kg each. I'd recommend you enlist the services of a professional to install them; that way, you'll have confidence with the installation.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thank you Mitchell. You are very helpful.,🙏🙏

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects