Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to get a good paint colour match?

SonjaS
Finding My Feet

How to get a good paint colour match?

Hi,

I brought a sample pot of colour matched paint but it isn’t quite the same colour. What can I do to get a good match?

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: colour matched paint

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @SonjaS. It's brilliant to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about colour-matched paint.

Was this a colour match done with our colour-spectrometer in-store? If so, I'd recommend returning your sample and this match and showing a team member on the Paint Desk. They'll typically adjust the colour to be a closer match or attempt another colour match on your sample.

Once you get a better match, I always advise to paint the entire wall as you can seldom match paint so well that you can do spot repairs. Also, when doing spot repairs, you need to feather the paint job into the surrounding area. So, paint the section, then take your brush and apply only a small amount of paint to it. Drag from the centre of the repair into the surrounding area to apply a light feathered coat of paint. This breaks up the hard lines of the repaired area and provides a less detectable transition from new paint to old.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thank you for the advice. I will follow your directions and hopefully this helps. I will be painting the whole wall behind the toilet. Where can I get a new sample from to take to the store as I don’t have the original anymore. I was reading on another post to get it from behind a door. Is this correct?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Or an inconspicuous location @SonjaS. You typically don't want to remove the sample from an obvious place, like the middle of a wall.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects