Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to get oil stain off canvas print?

Narla
Building a Reputation

How to get oil stain off canvas print?

IMG_8866.jpeg

Morning all. I have a canvas print on the wall behind our stove. It’s very high up so no concerns about it catching on fire however over the years it seems to have absorbed what I assume is oil in the top half. I have tried various methods eg liquid dish detergent, baking soda, vinegar etc to remove the stain but no luck so far. I like the print so hoping there may be a product available I could try? Thanks very much

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: What is the best producr to get oil stain off canvas picture

That's a bit of a difficult one, @Narla. If it is grease, then dishwashing detergent should have been rather effective in removing it. You could try Selleys BBQ Tough Cleaner Wipes, but do a test section first to ensure you don't damage the print. 

Magic erasers can work well with various marks, but be careful, as they are a form of micro-abrasion. 

Could this be a faded section where sunlight only hits the lower portion?

Unfortunately, if this stain has been absorbed into the canvas, it wouldn't really be something that can be cleaned off the surface.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Narla
Building a Reputation

Re: What is the best producr to get oil stain off canvas picture

Thanks @MitchellMc @I had a feeling it may be a lost cause! I haven’t tried the bbq wipes but did try the Selleys sugar soap and oven cleaner wipes and magic eraser but to no avail. It’s definitely not fading unfortunately so might have to just replace it;) 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects