Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to hang a heavy mirror?

Kriss
Just Starting Out

How to hang a heavy mirror?

Screenshot_20220328-004731_Chrome.jpg

Hi there I am really looking for some help with hanging this heavy (almost 6kg) mirror I recently purchased. I know that my first priority is to find the studs but as it's at our new place i haven't had the chance to look just yet. So i was wondering what exact type of studs would i need and also would i have to get ones of a specific size etc? If the studs dont line up for the mirror what other good options are there to hang such a heavy mirror? It's pretty weighty for a mirror of this size! Have attached photos of the back of the mirror, and all measurements including weight. thank you so much in advance! :smile:

Screenshot_20220328-004743_Chrome.jpg

brendawebster44
Making a Splash

Re: How to hang a heavy mirror?

Hello Kriss, I am going out on a limb here but I swear by it. Have a look at Bunnings and ask advise but I have used Command Strips on nearly everything that I have hung including heavy mirrors. You can get the correct size ie. heavy duty that will cope with 7.2kilos. It seems far fetched but works and no holes in the wall. Best of luck b🌺

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Kriss. It's a pleasure to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about hanging a mirror.

It's great to see you've already received some helpful advice from @brendawebster44

This style of hanging fixture is ideal for masonry walls where you can fix screws into any location. It can be challenging to install them into a stud wall as the distance between the two fixing locations is less than the standard width studs are placed apart. This means you could only ever get one solid fixing into a timber stud, and the other would be in plasterboard.

There are a few options that you could consider, and I've created a rendering below to illustrate better. You could place one screw into a stud and the other into the plaster with a Ramset Nylon WallMate Plasterboard Anchor. Hang the mirror wherever you want with two WallMate fixings as they're rated at 10 kg each. Or, use a timber bridge in between your studs. The timber bridge will be the strongest, but you'll be able to see the timber, and it might ruin your aesthetics.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

hello, see I told you to ask a professional. I mentioned the Command strips because I have use them for everything.My other specialities are super glue. What ever floats your boat. I have been with Bunnings DIY for some months now and love it, I like the comradeship. Ali the best b🌺

HI Mitchell & Kris,

I have purchased a similar 80CM mirror from Target https://www.target.com.au/p/round-mirror-anko/68724764

I want to install 2 of these to an exterior rendered wall, I have a lovely (but very dark) courtyard that almost serves as an outdoor room. The issue is I am renting - so can't drill holes. There are two existing mounting screws in the wall and I can reuse these existing holes to install proper fixtures. 

Given that I can't use two anchor points on the rear of the mirror, as per your render -  is there a mechanism to use a picturing hanging wire kit, and if so, how do I secure the wire to the mirror (I do not know what these particular mounting brackets are called!)

TIA

FiBACK 80CM Mirror.PNGFRONT 80CM Mirror.PNG

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Fi_Totts 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us and thanks for sharing your question about hanging a mirror.

Since you already have a hole in your wall and are not keen to drill another one, I propose using a timber frame to hold the mirror in place. Generally speaking, the mirror holder is composed of a Porta 140 x 12mm 1.2m DAR Rectangle General Purpose Pine cut into a triangle. 

The distance between the mirror mounts must be measured and transferred to the triangular pine piece. The screws are them put into place and the top section is screwed into the wall. Please note that this will cause the mirror to be slightly proud of the wall because of the thickness of the pine timber.

I've placed a sample image below to give you an idea of how it can be put together. 

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects