Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to hang a mirror in a rental?

cvh3196
Finding My Feet

How to hang a mirror in a rental?

I purchased a mirror which said it had a hook on the back to hang it, and (stupidly) didn't realise it had the brackets pictured on the back. The mirror weighs 2.5 kgs, and I wanted to know what I could do to hang it in my rental - I only have a picture hook on the wall which is already drilled in the wall. I was thinking of making a leather strap and hanging it with the wood on the top instead, or using D rings and then joining a wire between them so I could hang it from the hook, but maybe this is all a bit silly and I should sell it, since it's hard to modify my rental without my landlord cracking it! Thoughts appreciated :smile: 

IMG_1681.jpgIMG_1682.jpgIMG_1683.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to hang a mirror in a rental?

Hello @cvh3196

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about how to hang your mirror in a rental property.

If you're not allowed to drill holes into your walls, you're going to have to make a wall to hang your mirror. I suggest using 1800 x 600mm 18mm Timber Panel Pine FJ Laminated Clear. You can place this panel either behind an existing table or cabinet or have. Either way, you can drill into this panel and put a screw on it to hang your mirror. You can paint the panel in the same color as your wall or go for a contrasting colour to make it stand out. I've placed an example below for you to have a look at. Please tell me what you think.

If you need further advice, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
brendawebster44
Making a Splash

I have just seen Eric’s answer to the mirror so I better pull my head in . I think  Erics sounds more plausible but I will still keep using my Command Strips . My rationale is weigh the mirror , go to Bunnings get the strips and if need be I just buy more of the heavy duty ones to be sure then stick em on all over the mirror and plonk it on the wall. I think Eric would tell you to measure and mark the wall too . I haven’t the patience for all that while the men folk muck around with tape I have the picture on the wall, good luck and a happy Xmas b

Two words...ALIEN TAPE.!!

I would remove the keyhole hangers and put a strip of the tape on each section of the timber..

You can get the tape in various widths but I would say the 50mm. wide tape would do the job..

It can be removed relatively easy when you need to take the mirror down again..

seannami
Building a Reputation

What State are you in? In Vic you can add picture hooks without asking (within reason) or ask the LL. I personally am wary of command strips as they can tear chunks out of the paint when removing! One way to go would be to make a rope or leather strap with a hook at each end, stick the hooks in the keyhole hangers they hang the strap from the picture hook if the picture hooks is in a stud.

Final option might be to get a large  book or plate display easel and sit it in that on top of the dresser.

Ooh, she has a point you know.the last thing you need would be holes in the wall.Now I wondered ! what was that noise last night? b

8145B851-E55E-47C8-B23D-D05B51156EC9.jpeg

Thanks I realised it was much simpler than any of these! I attached some d rings and picture wire and hung it on a picture hook I already had an secured the bottom only with command strips! Just for extra security! 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @cvh3196. It's sensational to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about hanging mirrors.

I apologise for the delay in my reply. It's great to see you've already come up with a marvellous solution.

Please reach out anytime you need assistance with your house and garden projects. We're here to help.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects