Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to hang a plant from the ceiling?

izzysedg
Finding My Feet

How to hang a plant from the ceiling?

IMG_4858.jpeg

IMG_4857.png

IMG_4854.jpeg

  

Hello!

I was hoping to hang a plant from my ceiling (refer first picture). I drilled a 13mm hole hoping to use the Ramset spring toggle with hook in it. However, I was suprised when I was met with a large metal sheeting about 8mm deep through the whole. I did not want to try to drill any further. 

How can I hang the plant and/or fix this hole? Plant weighs less than 10kg. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Hanging A Plant

Hi @izzysedg,

The metal sheet could be any number of things, requiring further investigation in the roof cavity to determine what it is. Not drilling through it is a good idea.

Your best bet is to use a stud detector to find out if there are any roof timbers in your desired location. If there are, it's always best to screw directly into timber than to hang items from plasterboard. If there is no timber in the required location, you'd need to determine what this metal object is and whether it can be avoided. A stud detector like the Ryobi Stud Finder with AC Detection RYSF5003 with metal mode would help determine the perimeter of this object.

Regarding the hole in the plaster, it can be filled with Spakfilla, sanded and painted.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects