Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to hang swing from a plasterboard roof?

camryn
Just Starting Out

How to hang swing from a plasterboard roof?

i have a 5kg swing that i want to put in my room that has to hold a child (35kg) and i have a very thin plaster board roof and i would like to know what i can do to make th roof strong enough to hold this swing or what i can use to put in the roof to make it stronger.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: how do i hang something around 40kg off a plaster board roof?

Hello @camryn 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's fabulous to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about hanging a swing from your ceiling.

The 5kg swing plus the 35kg child gives you a total weight of 40kg. That would be the equivalent of two 20kg bags of concrete or two boxes of 300x300 white tiles. Not only does the ceiling have to support this weight but the dynamic forces applied to it when it is swinging. That means that the ceiling structure has to be able to support the weight even at different angles.   

The support you are after is not something that can be easily attached to your ceiling. In this particular instance, I suggest engaging the services of a registered builder. They will be able to determine what kind of timber beam will need to go across your walls so that it can safely support the swing. This means that it will be safe for you and your child when using the swing.

If you are after an easier option, I suggest having a look at the Swing Slide Climb Baby Swing Set or perhaps having a look at the stand-alone Swing Sets available at the store.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects