Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to install VJ panels on a rendered brick wall?

BeginnerPriyana
Getting Established

How to install VJ panels on a rendered brick wall?

Hi team,

I would like to install some VJ panels on a rendered brick wall in our rumpus room. It’s a very long wall approx 6 metres. I want to mount a tv onto the panels but I am confused about how to approach my project. 

I have seen a few posts saying to use heavy duty Liquid Nails and then put the panels up. Then I have seen other posts saying to add horizontal wooden batons to the wall about 150cm apart and then add the VJ panels to that.

Will I ruin the panels if I try and put brackets for a tv onto them? I’m very new to DIY and this will be my first project. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks 

Priya

Jewelleryrescue
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: how do i install VJ panels on a brick rendered wall with the intention to mount a tv

Hi @BeginnerPriyana 

Both those methods of using VJ panels are valid.  Liquid nails will siut you tv  mount better as VJ it is flat ontop of the brick wall and you will need to mount tv onto the  brick wall  and not have any space under the VJ board like with the wooden batons.

Glue is  easier DIY approached too.

Re: how do i install VJ panels on a brick rendered wall with the intention to mount a tv

Thank you @Jewelleryrescue. Just to clarify, do you mean I can drill through the VJ Panels and into the brick to add the tv mount?

Thanks.

Priya

Hi @BeginnerPriyana 

Yes drill through VJ  board to  the brick for the tv  mount. :smile:  

Just a tip @BeginnerPriyana just add a splotches of  glue every 300mm approx is all it take to hole VJ board to a wall. 

Amazing!! Thanks @Jewelleryrescue I will give this a go.

Hello @BeginnerPriyana 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about EasyVJ panels.

The reason that a timber batten frame is built is so that the panel can be anchored or nailed onto something. If you are going to mount directly onto brick, I suggest using some brick wall plugs in combination with countersunk screws to hold the panel in place while the glue cures behind it. Pushing the panel directly onto the brick with adhesive will not hold it in place. The screw heads can be covered with filler so that you can paint over it and keep it hidden.

In regards to your TV bracket, I suggest using Dynabolts to prevent the bracket from getting pulled out especially if it is a heavy TV.  

Here is a link to our best advice: How do you fix VJ to a brick wall?   

I also suggest having a look at this discussion - Easycraft VJ on brick by @Roger1490 

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thank you very much @EricL.

i think I like the idea of using brick wall plugs in combination with countersunk screws to hold the panel in place.

if I used wooden batons, would I need to use the brick wall plugs to screw the batons into the brick wall? Also how would the vj panels stick to the wall if the batons are behind it? Wouldn’t the glue need to be overly thick to stick?

Thanks.

Priya

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to install VJ panels on a rendered brick wall?

Hi @BeginnerPriyana,

That's correct; you'd use masonry plugs and screws to hold the batons on the wall. The VJ panels are glued to the batons. So, the panels stick to the batons, not the wall. Here's the installation guide for EasyCraft panels onto a brick or block wall.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: How to install VJ panels on a rendered brick wall?

Thanks so much @MitchellMc . I am going to Bunnings tomorrow so I will ask them for some.

Priya

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects