Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to lay tiles or thin brick on internal walls?

Taznz
Finding My Feet

How to lay tiles or thin brick on internal walls?

Hi,

I have a painted villaboard walls and I’m planning to put ceramic tiles in one and thin brick in the other, Do I need to do anything to prep the walls, also what you suggest using to stick the tiles and the bricks?
Thanks

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to lay tiles or thin brick on internal walls?

Hello @Taznz 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's fabulous to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about tiling over painted walls.

Before putting anything on your wall, I suggest sanding the surface with 80 grit sandpaper to prep the surface, there's no need to strip the paint from your wall, the surface needs to be roughened up. Use a damp clean rag to clean the wall of dust and debris. I always recommend using Davco 1L Ultraprime Surface Primer to prepare the surface of the wall for waterproofing or tiling. Please make sure to give the primer enough time to cure before you apply any waterproofing.

I recommend using Dunlop 20kg Trade Resaflex. Resaflex can be used over green screeds, render, plasterboard, fibre-cement sheet (walls), compressed fibre-cement sheet (floors), Dunlop undertile waterproofing membranes and concrete. 

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing the start of your tiling project.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Taznz
Finding My Feet

Thanks Eric

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Taznz 

Don't forget to post a photo update, I'm sure our members will be keen to see what the wall looks like once you've tiled it.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects