Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to make a custom canvas frame?

Priya03
Just Starting Out

How to make a custom canvas frame?

Hi  i would like to know step by step process to make custom canvas frame 45x170cm. Also how to stretch the artwork on frame. What sort of tools I need. Can somebody guide me in the storeas well. Picture is just for the reference. Sorry I am very new to this 😕

20220423_073427.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: canvas frame

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Priya03. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about creating a custom canvas.

You're essentially constructing a picture frame, and it will be a similar process. Check out this helpful guide: How to make a D.I.Y. picture frame. At a minimum, you'll need some 42 x 19mm 2.4m DAR Tasmanian Oak Select, PVA glue, mitre box, hand saw, hammer, corner clamps and corner reinforcements. It wouldn't hurt to add screws to the joins as well.

Since this is such a long frame, I'd suggest adding some uprights along the length for rigidity. I've added a rendering below to illustrate.

You'd stretch a blank canvas onto a frame creating a taught surface for painting. For a canvas that is already painted, I'd be a bit concerned with using a tool to stretch it. You'll possibly crack the paint. For a pre-painted canvas, it might be best to pull it hand-tight over the frame and nail it off with tacks.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects