Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to make a lapboard for gaming?

faisalmukhtarch
Just Starting Out

How to make a lapboard for gaming?

Hi,

I am planning to create a Lapboard for Gaming. 

I have a gaming mouse pad, Product dimensions ‎"94 x 41"

Plan is to make something similar to this Lapboard 

I am thinking, if I can get a wooden plank/board, same size as the above mentioned dimension of the mouse pad. Stick the gaming mouse pad  on the that wood with some glue. Under the wood, add some sort of cushion for comfort. 

Appreciate if anyone can help me with the correct product

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to make a lapboard for gaming?

Hello @faisalmukhtarch 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about creating a lapboard.

What a fantastic project to be undertaking! I suggest having a look at the Specrite 1200 x 600 x 18mm Timber Multi Use Pine Panel for the board itself. It's easy to cut with a regular hand saw and is not very heavy when put on your lap. I propose tracing the size of your mouse pad over the board and extending the size by 1 centimetre all around.

In this manner the mouse pad can be a bit off centre and still be withing the bounds of the board. For cushioning, I propose using Eva 50 x 50cm Black Solid Interlock Foam Mats - 4 Pack. I recommend attaching it to the bottom of the panel using Selleys 150g Kwik Grip Spray Contact Adhesive. The excess foam can be cut down using a craft knife.

To paint the board, I suggest using Cabot's 500ml Gloss Water Based Cabothane Clear Polyurethane Timber Varnish. The gloss finish will keep the mouse pad from moving as it has a rubber anti-slip base. I don't recommend sticking the mouse pad to the board as it will ruin it.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects