Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to mend an acrylic chair crack?

SydneyM
Just Starting Out

How to mend an acrylic chair crack?

anyone know what's strongest mend for a split acrylic chair?broken chair.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: acrlyic chair crack mending

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @SydneyM. It's great that you've joined us, and many thanks for your question about repairing acrylic.

Acrylic can be difficult to repair on thin edges, and we'll likely need some more detailed images of where this damage is on the chair. If you could take a few more shots from different angles and provide details about what part of the chair it is, that would be very helpful. Any repair you do is likely going to be fairly brittle from then on, and you might need to do some reinforcement, so it doesn't crack again.

I look forward to hearing more about the specifics and providing assistance.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

thanks. on closer inspection is looks like it may only have an acrylic coating, the inside looks and feels to the touch like high density wood. see the additional picks requested.chair damage 2.jpgchair damage 3.jpgchair damage 1.jpgbroken chair.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Many thanks for the additional images @SydneyM.

I assume this is the backrest, but it would be helpful to know how it attaches. Does the mounting mechanism attach to both of the broken pieces? If there isn't anything else other than the thickness of the acrylic to hold the two sections together, I can't think of a way to repair it seamlessly whilst still being structurally sound enough to lean against.

You could try using Selleys 3ml All Plastics Power Grip. However, on its own, I feel the repair will be insufficient.

How did the chair break in the first place? 

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects