Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to mount a 65-inch TV?

carpenterson
Finding My Feet

How to mount a 65-inch TV?

Hi! I'm planning to mount our TV in our living room wall and wanted to ask for tips. In particular, I wanted to ask what materials I should pick. Here are some details:

- I have a Samsung TV Frame 65 inch, also have a TV mounting kit included.

- I've checked for studs on the wall and noticed its too far apart for the mounting kit to screw in.

- I have some tools in hand, such as small saw to cut drywall, spirit level, and several power tools for screws

My plan is to install a wood panel board in 3 vertical studs, I'll cut a part of the drywall where the panel board will fit in place.

Then place the TV mount into the wood panel board. Basically I would have a horizontal sturdy stud instead of relying on the vertical studs that are too far apart. 

I wanted to ask are:

- what kind of panel board should I look for, or what type of material or timber? (I don't know if those are the right questions to ask, I'm open to other ideas)

- what screws should I use? I could see there are silver and gold screws available in Bunnings, but I have no idea if they are safe to screw both the stud and panel board together.

- what things should I consider other than what I've already described? Any tips would be helpful just be nice when saying it.

Thank you!

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Asking for tips on how to mount a TV

Hello @carpenterson 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us and thanks for sharing your question about mounting your TV.

Would it be possible for you to post a photo of the TV mounting kit? I would just like to know what model it is and its approximate dimensions.

Your idea of anchoring timber to your studs is very sound. But keep in mind that this is only applicable to a static mount. If you are using a pullout pivot wall mount it will not work as too much stress is placed on the timber studs.

I suggest having a look at this discussion - How to wall-mount a heavy 75-inch 40kg TV by @Sugar. In the discussion, I suggested using 285 x 19mm 1.2m DAR Pine Premium onto the stud wall and using Zenith 14G x 65mm Galvanised Type 17 Batten Bugle Head Timber Screws - 25 Pack. 

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi @EricL thanks for the response. I'm attaching a picture of the wall mount kit:

1000005957.jpg

I'll take a look into Sugar's post and also on the items you've recommended. 

I have mounted a 75 inch with a selby kit. The kit itself came with spacers and screws. The backboard that goes on the wall was long enough to fit thru two vertical studs. But it wasn’t in the center so I postponed the wall mount to the center of the wall and screwed 4 anchor into studs and put two additional screws at the longer end. It is strong as a rock.

IMG_9754.jpeg

Hi @carpenterson,

It looks like @EricL's suggestion will work for your bracket. Just so you know, there's no necessity to remove the plasterboard and the timber board can be installed over it.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects