Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to mount a TV on a plasterboard wall?

Melski44
Finding My Feet

How to mount a TV on a plasterboard wall?

Wanting to put a 55inch tv weighing 13.5 kilos on a plasterboard wall. Steele frame behind. I see I can purchase brackets for weight and length of tv but what will I require to securely put bracket on wall? How will I know where is best place to put bracket? I wasn’t sure with a steele frame you knock on wall similar to finding a wooden beam? 

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Re: Wall Mounting a Tv

Good Evening @Melski44 

Thats not too bad a weight for a 55" tv :smile: 

Here is a link to a bunnings install video for a large flat tv on to a studded wall. How To Wall Mount A TV - Bunnings Warehouse 

It pretty much explains what I was going to type :smile:

Some things to keep in mind -

Studs are 450mm apart by the look of it in a metal wall. Timber studs are further apart.

Here is another link to a Workshop discussion on mounting a tv to the plasterboard itself. It can be done.

How do you wall-mount a TV? 

If you have any questions just let us know :smile: I have put a wall mounted 55" tv up and went for an ultra low profile as I wanted as much space as possible. It was a pain but I managed it. The first link is pretty much the way I went. And I mounted into the timber studs. (Just had a look at the photos. I havnt posted that project yet  :smile:

Dave

Jewelleryrescue
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @Melski44 

Yes you can knock on wall its a little harder to  find with a steel frame not as  solid feel over the stud in my opinion.

Or you can buy a stud finder if your planning to do other work around the home  requireing stud finding not  worth paying the money for a  one of job.

the stub finder I use is 

Franklin ProSensor T13 Professional Stud Finder I/N: 0117223 $ 99.98

There is  also a cheaper ryobi  with a good reputation 

Ryobi Stud Finder with AC Detection RYSF5003 

I/N: 0374422

$49.98

The  goal to mounting the bracket after locating studs is to try and span and solid fix to two studs it dosnt matter if they a little off centre. 2 studs will bare the weight , In your case use self drilling metal screws 40mm should do the trick Probably with counter sunk screw heads to match the tv mounting plate.

If you need a  TV  bracket   a flat mounted style is  best  many of the other types flex  badly under the load.

Crest Large Extra Strong Fixed TV Bracket / Wall Mount 

I/N: 0011974

$78

This  bracket will do up to 98inch  tv and 85kg over kill i say yes but tommorrow  you may wish to upsize tv.  Plus this bracket has a large span and array of mounting holes to align with any studs.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Melski44. It's sensational to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about mounting a TV.

It's great to see that you've already received some excellent advice and recommendations from our knowledgeable members.

First, I'd suggest you pick up a stud finder that detects metal and determine if there are studs in suitable locations. If there are, you can use self-tapping metal screws. Failing that, you can bridge between the studs with a timber board and mount onto it. The third option is to use plaster fixings of a suitable weight capacity for your TV.

If mounting to the wall sounds a bit difficult, you might like to check out this handy step-by-step guide: How to build a TV cabinet with wall mount.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects