Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to mount a shoe cabinet to the wall?

KatK
Just Starting Out

How to mount a shoe cabinet to the wall?

hemnes-shoe-cabinet-with-2-compartments-white__0710736_pe727754_s5.jpg

Screenshot_20231012_144548.jpg

I'm looking to get these shoe cabinets second hand, but I'm a true novice when it comes to DIY. I've never been taught how to use power tools, so I have no idea how to mount this to a wall or what I would need.

Could I potentially use double sided mounting tape? Or command strips or similar? I am aware the cabinet may be too heavy though, especially when opening the draws and shifting center of gravity.

I'm also really nervous about making holes in the walls since I don't really know how to repair them.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to mount a shoe cabinet to the wall?

Hello @KatK 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's marvellous to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about mounting your shoe cabinet to your wall.

This is an excellent project to be undertaking. I suggest taking it one step at a time. First, are you drilling into a plasterboard or brick wall? If you are drilling into a plasterboard wall, you'll need to find the position of the timber stud behind the plasterboard wall. For this exercise, I recommend having a look at this guide - How to use a stud finder

Please keep in mind that it's possible that someone in your extended circle of family and friends will have a stud finder. Have a look and see if you can borrow one. But if you wish to invest in one for the future then getting one for yourself is a good way to start with your D.I.Y. tool collection. 

If you are drilling into brick, I recommend having a look at this guide - How to drill into brick. Now this guide involves using an electric drill. If you are not yet prepared to invest in a drill, then my suggestion is to see if you can borrow one. 

I don't want to overload you with information, but once we establish what kind of wall you're drilling into, we can then go into detail with what you need to do.

Here are links to some handy guides you'll find useful:

We look forward to hearing from you.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects