Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to paint a bookcase

Dee2
Getting Established

How to paint a bookcase

bookcase.jpgbookcase2.jpgbookcase1.jpg

Planning to paint this bookcase. It looks like its got a stain on it. Can you suggest what products and I should use and the process to follow? Any suggestions are most welcome

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Paint a Bookcase

Hi @Dee2,

As previously mentioned I would suggest using Rust-Oleum 1L Bulls Eye 1-2-3 Undercoat Primer Sealer Stain Blocker. This will prevent any of the stain bleeding through your topcoats. It would be a good idea to sand the whole bookcase with 120grit sandpaper before applying the undercoat as this will ensure a great bond.

Here's a couple of articles on How to upcycle almost anything with paint and How to paint over varnished timber which I trust you'll find helpful.

You might also be interested in the discussions- Top 10 most popular indoor furniture projectsUpcycled side table using chalk paintPainting a bed from a dark timber stain and Before and After on an old Television Cabinet.

Please let me know if you need further assistance or have any questions. 

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dee2
Getting Established

Bookcase has been painted with Dulux weathershield - white on white. It looks beautiful

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Dee2,

It's great to hear you've completed the project and I trust our members will be looking forward to seeing some pictures.

Many thanks for sharing the update.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects