Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to paint an interior wall in a rental?

Former Workshop member
Not applicable

How to paint an interior wall in a rental?

I will be painting a half of wall within my living room to matte Black, It will be around 3m in height and 4m wide area. Currently it is white, and as a renter, I will need to paint it back to white myself or get it painted back to the original white tone.

what would be the best products use from bunnings? what tops would you give?

Akanksha
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: How to paint an interior wall in a rental?

Hello @Former Workshop member,

Many thanks for your question on painting your rental. I'm sure our resident D.I.Y. expert @EricL will be able to assist and provide you with some product recommendations once he's back online later today. 

In the meantime, let me tag Workshop member @jemma11 to see if she has any thoughts. She painted her bedroom in a beautiful matte black shade. I'd also suggest having a look at the guides How to paint like a professional and How to choose the right paint for the job in case they help.

I look forward to seeing updates as your project progresses and how you transform your living room. 

Akanksha 

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Former Workshop member 

Thanks for sharing your question about painting an interior wall. As alternative to painting the wall, I suggest using MDF Panel Standard 2400mm x 1200 x 3mm on your wall and painting them black. When the time comes to move out, you simply remove the screws holding the MDF in place and take the panels down. The screw holes can then be easily repaired with filler and touched up with paint.

It would be a much easier process rather than repainting the wall. The good part about the MDF is that you can take it with you and re-install it in your new rental.

I suggest using Zinsser .98L Grey Bulls Eye 1-2-3 Undercoat Primer-Sealer Stain Blocker in combination with Taubmans 4L White Low Sheen Easycoat Interior Wall Paint as topcoat tinted to your choice of black. 

However, if you're really keen on painting the wall, the paint I've suggested will also work on the current paint surface.

Here are some handy step-by-step guides: 

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Tyro
Becoming a Leader

Hi @Former Workshop member 

As a long term renter please allow me to strongly recommend that you get written permission from the landlord / agent before you start.  Without permission, some agents can use it as a reason to end your tenancy. 😱😵

But regarding your choice of black ... I moved into a place with deep blue/purple walls.  I put one coat of a recommended good quality undercoat on (Dulux or Taubmans I  think) but it took 3 coats of the topcoat to get rid of that blue tinge! 

That was many years ago and paints have come a long way (thank goodness!). But because of the strong colour 2 coats of undercoat might pay off in the long run.

Good luck! 🤗

nadams
Just Starting Out

Hi Eric
I am going to use your suggested MDF technique in my rental. What is the best, affordable tool to cut the MDF board to and exact size (I need to fit it in under a picture rail and wall length).
Thanks

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @nadams 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about what tool to use to cut MDF.

An ordinary handsaw will suffice as the MDF is not very thick. If you have access to a circular saw and are familiar with its use that would also work. For curves and shaped cuts, I suggest using a jigsaw or a Bahco 160mm Compass Saw.

Please remember to post a photo update of your project. I'm sure our members would be keen to see the results of the wall covering.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects