Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to paint cane furniture

Diy_Shell
Growing in Experience

How to paint cane furniture

Hi everyone, I have been lucky to inherit 2 cane chairs and a large coffee table that once belonged to my grandparents. They had this furniture before I was born (38 yrs ago). As you can imagine, this furniture has a lot of meaning to me and I’m looking for ideas on how I could revive it. I’m hoping someone can give me some guidance on A) restoring the cane to it’s natural self or B) Painting the cane.

Thank you in advance. Any ideas and suggestions are welcome!

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to paint cane furniture

Hello @Diy_Shell

It's great that you've received fantastic advice from @LizzieCro and @tom_builds. Please make sure to post photos of the renovation from beginning to end. I'm sure our members would love to see the transformation of the chairs.

Please keep us updated, we look forward to seeing the cane chairs painted and ready for use.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Diy_Shell
Growing in Experience

9F06FB74-2429-4366-9CB5-C8FCDC22B82A.jpeg

FC2A93F1-AF33-4C82-B117-F66B4D3C4F9C.jpeg

5C3D3801-610F-4FD9-9EC1-49FDD600C203.jpeg

EEF0D10E-03DC-4090-82AB-9A6C8D5F5D79.jpeg

Hi,

I would like to share an update on my cane chair! I ended up settling on painting the chair in black and I’m now waiting on some quotes to get the cushions re- upholstered. Any suggestions for colour on cushions are welcome! Once again I’m torn between black and white!
I cleaned the chair with sugar soap before using the ozito  detail sander with 80 grit sandpaper to gently sand the chair back. I then cleaned the chair again with methylated spirits.
I spray painted the chair using Rusteloum in the Flat Black colour.
I Had to put a few slats on the seat of the chair and will add a few more (didn’t buy enough wood)  I have attached photos of the above steps and the chair in the area it will go. It currently has the original cushions on it but like I mentioned before, I’m getting those re-upholstered. The chair will also get a second coat eventually! There is another identical chair that I will do the same thing to. My next project will be to make a small table to go with the chairs. 
Thanks to all that helped out. The replies really gave me the confidence to go ahead.

@EricL @tom_builds @LizzieCro @Jason 

5788AD5A-6E4B-41A8-80A9-445D5F8B193B.jpeg

725D0EC0-29DC-4807-A143-07E42FF84437.jpeg

StevieB
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Well done @Diy_Shell. You've done a fantastic job and the chair looks lovely. What made you decide to go with black instead of Blossom White?

The contrast of white cushions could look great, but I'd suggest going with black. I have a white couch and everything shows up on it and makes it look grubby quickly. Choosing black will mean it'll look chic for longer.

Please keep us updated on what you decide and how it turns out.

Stevie

Awesome work @Diy_Shell !

The chair looks great, and thanks for sharing the photos of the whole process and the finished product, it's great to be able to share in other people's projects. 

I agree with @StevieB that white cushions will be hard to keep white, perhaps another option would be a darkish grey, this will give a little bit of contrast with the black while keeping the same tone. Otherwise the black frame would complement nearly any colour should you want to add a splash of brightness to your room.

Thanks for sharing!

Wow! How good does the black look!? Well done! Personally I would go with a patterned fabric. This will depend entirely on how much use your chair will get. If it's in a room which gets casual use, then , yes, you could use something lighter-coloured. If however it will be in the main TV area (for instance), then use a darker patterned fabric, or at least have removable covers so you can wash them. Think about the overall decor in the room. Is there any main colour in that room? Try and pick up that colour in the fabric, which will give the room a continuity, and make it all look intentional. All that aside, these chairs suggest, to me, something with green in them, which would contrast beautifully against the black.

Good luck! I hope you're having fun!

StevieB
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Fantastic suggestions @LizzieCro. Thanks for jumping in and contributing to this discussion.

Stevie

Diy_Shell
Growing in Experience

Thanks @StevieB 

I’m definitely leaning towards a black material or at least something dark. I have been in touch with an upholsterer but it’s difficult getting things done with lockdown restrictions!! I will keep you updated. 

Diy_Shell
Growing in Experience

Thanks @tom_builds ! I’m definitely leaning towards a dark fabric. Adds to the drama of the black! Will keep you updated when I can finally get the cushions done!

Diy_Shell
Growing in Experience

Thank you @LizzieCro I absolutely love the black. I have really considered a patterned fabric and will definitely stick with a darker colour. It is in a busy are so will be getting a lot of use. I can’t wait to get the cushions done now. Will keep you updated! 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects