Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to paint faux brick wall?

DIYMum
Having an Impact

How to paint faux brick wall?

Am wanting to improve the aesthetics of this faux brick wall between two living areas. I'd prefer not to pull it off and was thinking of painting over it. I'm assuming I'll need to prime the faux brick before painting with some sort of bonding primer? Any other suggestions for an easy low-cost face lift?

Apricot coloured walls will be repainted Antique White once the weather warms up (not for at least another 3 months or so!)

Thanks!

286686393_10224878955853687_8638627904246589970_n.jpg285577304_10224878960653807_4569648062803529803_n.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Help with faux brick wall

Hi @DIYMum

Thanks for sharing your question about painting your faux brick wall. Preparation is key when painting a faux brick wall, I suggest using a stiff broom to remove any dust or debris that may be stuck to the wall. I then propose vacuuming the wall and the surrounding area to pick up any bits of plaster that may have fallen into the crevices of the wall. 

I recommend using an undercoat sealer, this will seal the porosity of the faux brick and you won't have to use a great deal of top coat paint to cover the area. You can also use a purpose-made sealer such as Crommelin 4L Brick And Render Water Based Sealer. Once the sealer cures you can paint over it using any water-based paint.

The good news is that you already have a sprayer and because you have this tool, it will definitely cut down the painting time for your wall.

Here is a link to our best advice: How do you paint internal bricks?

Here is a handy step-by-step guide: How to paint your house’s exterior with a spray gun.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects