Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to paint office furniture?

YC
Just Starting Out

How to paint office furniture?

Hi, I wanted to surprise my husband for Christmas. He likes the storage in his study but the rest of our house is very modern and the brown doesn't match anything. Just wondering what the best paint would be to use on this and if it will work? Would I need to sand it first? I want to do it all matte black. Thank you! 

20231113_151940.jpg

20231113_151825.jpg

20231113_151903.jpg

   

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to paint office furniture?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @YC. It's great to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about painting cabinetry.

On the taller cabinet and lower timber stand, you could use ESP to prime the surface before applying Dulux Aquanamel Black Semi-gloss. There are no paintable matt black products. To get a matt black, you'd need to use spray cans, but that's quite a large surface area to be painting with cans for the taller cabinet. You could certainly do the filing cabinet and lower timber stand with spray cans. You get a satin in the Dulux Renovation range, which would be suitable for the taller cabinet is made from laminate. It would be necessary to sand the items to remove the gloss sheen before painting.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Akanksha
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: How to paint office furniture?

Let me also extend a warm welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, @YC. So lovely to have you join us. 

Loving your thoughtful gesture of surprising your husband by updating his study. Great to see you've received advice from Mitch about how to paint the cabinetry.

I also wanted to share these 10 ways to update your home office and 10 home office project ideas. They contain more inspiring ideas on how you could transform his study to make it more stylish and functional. 

Keep us updated as your project progresses. We'd love to see the final look you create.

Akanksha

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects