Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to prepare floor for tiles?

daveO
Just Starting Out

How to prepare floor for tiles?

Hi team, after pulling up old carpet in the bedroom I discovered this. See photo. I would like to have a tiled floor as the end result. Im looking for tips and suggestions to achieve this. My first thought would be to cover with plastic and lay yellow tongue flooring over the top, to then lay tiles on. Please share your thoughts on this idea or let me know how you would do it.

Thank you

Screenshot_20230810-210444_Gallery.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Suggestions to prepare this floorspace for a tiled floor

Hi @daveO,

The standard approach here would be to pour a self-levelling cement like Lanko 20kg 173 Floor Leveller over the area to achieve a flat and smooth surface for your tiles. 

I note you've mentioned laying plastic. Do you have a moisture concern?

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Re: How to prepare floor for tiles?

Morning @daveO 

Is that Concrete, Timber, concrete? and is there any difference in height between them? I am thinking @MitchellMc suggestion of self leveling compound may be the way to go. If there is no dipping then maybe masonite first and then tiling on top (Only reason I suggest that is my old kitchen was done that way) I do like the surenss of a level floor with your suggestion of yellow tongue flooring.

Dave

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects