Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to protect room-divider screens?

CEH1934
Finding My Feet

How to protect room-divider screens?

I'm interested in privacy/room divider screens like the Artiss Cherry Blossom or similar. I'm concerned that the backing may be flimsy and/or susceptible to staining. Any advice?

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to protect room-divider screens?

Hi @CEH1934,

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. We trust our clever and creative members will provide heaps of inspiration and advice for all your home improvement projects around the house and garden.

Are you looking for members to suggest alternative screens or would you consider building your own? If you let us know a little more about your needs, I'm sure members will be happy to help. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Room-divider screens

Hello @CEH1934 

Thanks for sharing your question about room dividing screens. Would it be possible for you to post a photo of the room divider you were interested in? the Bunnings website offers a great deal of room dividers made both of fabric and natural materials. Will you be using it outside? Is that why you're worried about staining? Is it going to be used in an environment with a great deal of humidity or moisture like a spa? 

It is definitely possible for you to build your own room divider, this gives you the advantage of choosing your own materials which you think will suite your needs. 

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

Hey EricL,

Thank you for your response. I am interested in screens like the Artiss pine wood stand, Shoji screens. It would be used in a large bedroom. The reason I am concerned about staining is that there is a male cat (neutered) who sometimes sprays furniture. I'm going to try one of the DIY sprays for discouraging cats, but I'm also interested in the natural resistance of the screen panels.

Artiss screen.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @CEH1934 

I've been reading up on the Artiss 4 Panel Room Divider Screen Privacy Dividers Pine Wood Stand Shoji Bamboo Black White and it looks like the screen is made of non-woven fabric and is capable of repelling liquid. In order to provide extra protection, I suggest using 3M Scotchgard 297g Fabric And Upholstery Protector. This will provide an additional layer of protection for your room divider.

I also suggest placing an extra kitty litter tray where your cat can relieve itself. Using cat repellent in an enclosed space is not advised as this might have a bad reaction to your cat. Instead, I propose putting strips of aluminium foil at the bottom of the room divider. You can either have it directly on the floor or tape strips of it on the lower portion of the room divider. Cats have a natural aversion to aluminium foil.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

Thanks EricL,

That's very helpful. I'll certainly use the Scotchgard and try the aluminium foil.

Charles

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects