Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to raise a wall-mounted TV?

Bell_1986
Cultivating a Following

How to raise a wall-mounted TV?

Hello 

I had my TV mounted to my bedroom wall and now realise that I should of had it mounted higher not only so hides the PowerPoint but would be better higher and for future the space of height I have underneath and visually. Is this hard to do? DIY Steps? Can I reuse one or two out of the three holes (depending how much higher I mount it) will the old unused hole/s left be easy to touch up? I belive is mounted in to studs. Please see pic.

20240110_101720.jpg

20240110_101713.jpg

20240110_101626.jpg

Akanksha
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: How to raise a wall-mounted TV?

My sincere apologies for the delay in responding to your question, @Bell_1986. It's been a busy time on the site with many members attempting projects. I'm sure our resident Bunnings D.I.Y. expert @EricL will be happy to help as soon as he can. 

Let me also call upon our ever-helpful members @Jewelleryrescue@DIYGnome and @TedBear for their thoughts. 

Many thanks for your patience in the meantime. 

Akanksha

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
DIYGnome
Building a Reputation

Hello @Bell_1986 given the weight of a flat panel TV, I can only assume it was mounted to a vertical wooden beam/stud in your wall structure... provided you use the same attachment process I don't see why you can't mount it higher up the wall, just take the TV off the frame (with a second person) to make your task manageable. 

Reusing one of the existing mounting holes is an excellent idea as it will assist you in keeping in alignment with the required stud/beam, a spirit level and/or straight edged ruler (and pencil) would be useful to draw a line over the existing mounting holes (when bracket removed) to assist in locating your new drilling points whilst using the bracket base plate as a template. 

Patching won't be more than some Polyfilla (or plaster filling substitute), some sanding to ensure a flat surface and a little touch up with some paint (you may need Staff assistance matching paint if you have none left). 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Bell_1986,

@DIYGnome has provided some excellent advice there, and I agree that height adjustment is possible.

Please let us know if you have any additional questions.

Mitchell

Bell_1986
Cultivating a Following

1000007894.jpg

1000007891.jpg

1000007892.jpg

  

1000007893.jpg

Bell_1986
Cultivating a Following

Hello 🙂 I successfully raised my TV. I did not re use any holes I made three new holes due to how high I wanted/ needed to raise TV. As can see I am left with three holes and bumps in the wall .... wondering how I can fix this ? 🤔

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Bell_1986 

Thank you very much for the update, it's great to see that you've managed to move your TV bracket to your preferred height. 

I suggest using UNi-PRO 500g Multi Purpose Interior Filler - 500g to fill the holes in your wall. Once the filler has cured you can sand it down and then paint over it.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Bell_1986
Cultivating a Following

Thanks ☺️  can you see how there is a bump it's as if the bracket has sucked out some of the wall if that makes sense 

Hi @Bell_1986,

If the plaster or paper coating has been pulled out, you should cut away any proud material and then sand the immediate area until it is flush with the surrounding surface. You'll then be able to fill those holes and patch the area.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects