Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to remove a stuck cavity sliding door?

KJ3931
Finding My Feet

How to remove a stuck cavity sliding door?

Hi, I need some help.  My sliding door between bedroom and bathroom is completely stuck.  I assume the rollers went off the rails.  The door cannot be pushed or pulled at all - it is about half open. I tried to lift it up with a crowbar, but it doesn’t move.  Does anyone have any good suggestions?

KJ3931_0-1703713089929.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: my sliding door is stuck

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @KJ3931. It's fabulous to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about removing a stuck cavity sliding door.

If the door does not budge, you'll likely have to start removing the top trim pieces to access the door rollers. Have a look on both sides of the door to see if either of the header trims have noticeable screws in them. If you remove that trim piece, it should give you access to the rollers. Due to the door being stuck partially open, you might still have difficulty accessing the rear roller for removal. Unfortunately, if that's the case, you could have to cut a rather large hole in the plasterboard to locate it.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks, I feared that might be the case. I can't remove the header trim because it seems to be fastened with TORX screws, which is beyond my home tool kit, and in any case would only give me access to the front roller.  Unfortunately this looks to exceed my DIY skills.  Should I look for a carpenter, plasterer or handyman?  Thanks again for your response. K.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

I'd go with a handyperson for that on @KJ3931.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

👍

DIYGnome
Making a Splash

Hello @KJ3931 are you referring to the trim fastener featured in your photo as a Torx type?

Kind of looks more like a standard Philips wood screw 🤔

Sliding Door Trim.jpg

No, sorry to lead you up the garden path ...  I have just recycled a photo from someone else's previous question on the B. Workshop forum (2020 ...).  My installation looks exactly the same (including the colour!!!), but my Philips screwdriver doesn't grip at all.  When I had a closer look it appeared different, looking closer to the Torx ones.

Hello @KJ3931 thank you that clarifies my query, you know not having the right tool to do the job can be used as an opportunity to expand the "tool collection" depending on what you are comfortable with undertaking... a quick search in Bunnings selection located a nicely priced Torx driver set which I didn't know I needed until today 😆

https://www.bunnings.com.au/diablo-50mm-torx-variety-modular-set-clip-2608f03295-8-pack_p0356872

Depending on your path forward, you might find a Handyman happy to have an "extra pair" of hands, a good opportunity to pick up new skills... 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects