Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to remove a whiteboard from a wall?

Russ42
Building a Reputation

How to remove a whiteboard from a wall?

A friend is moving out from a rental and a previous renter has put a self adhesive whiteboard on a wall. She needs to remove it without damaging (woops: too late) the paintwork. I have advised her to buy a heat gun from Bunnings with which she will hopefully be able to warm the board enough for the glue to release from the wall or the back of the whiteboard. Do you have a better solution? Thanks for your help. I will post images when they arrive in my email. She probably needs to solve the problem this weekend so if you do have a solution, please post it asap.

Tyro
Becoming a Leader

Re: How to remove a whiteboard from a wall

Hi @Russ42 

Has your friend got an advertising photo of the room before she moved in to prove it was already in place?  The stinky real estate have pulled a fast one on her. 

Remember to take some good before and after photos of the wall, just in case!

Phone Bunnings early as possible and ask the advice of one of the staff.  If a heat gun is recommended, I'd hire one from your nearest tool hire place.  

Take a sample of the paint colour and the Bunnings paint desk staff can colour match it.  If there is some loose plaster with the paint on, grab a bit of that (you won't need much!) or take a scraping.  

For equipment from Bunnings, you just need some quick dry spakfiller, a sheet of sandpaper, a tool to smooth it out (I use a paint scraper) and a small tub of paint. The paint is about $6 or $8. 

In the places that need patching, get rid of any loose material then fill the holes.  When dry, sand lightly, brush off the dust and slap 2 coats of paint on (allow 1st coat to dry before #2). 

Whatever the real estate say, it doesn't matter if there are patches.  But when you paint it try to blend it at the edges (your friend will know what that is from applying cosmetic blusher to her face!).  

If the real estate do give you grief, phone your local community legal centre or Tenants Union.  The people there will set you right.

A heads-up from an old hand at renting ... next time you rent, ask the real estate to repair any damages beforehand. Most owners will agree to that and pay.  Take lots of photos of even the slightest damage to the property, fixtures and/or fittings (including carpet burns or stains, wall marks or damage, evidence of bug infestation).  The legal eagles will have lots of info re renters' rights (I once got hit for repairing an incomplete job Telstra had started on the phone wall socket!).

Good luck! 🤞

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Russ42,

@Tyro has provided some great information there. I thought I'd add that if you get a long length of dental floss or fishing line, you can place it behind the frame and cut through the adhesive using a back-and-forth sawing motion. It works best to wrap each end of the line around your hands or two blocks of timber. It's the same technique used to remove car emblems and cut through the foam double-sided tape they use.

Please update us with those images and reach out if you need further assistance.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Russ42
Building a Reputation

Thanks Tyro. I am inclined to let leave it and see what the RE agent says. The place needed renovating in 1952 but they have left it as is since they decided against it. I think the $40 for the heat gun from Bunnings would be cheaper and less trouble than hiring one. My heat gun is my favourite weapon and is kept at the front in my cupboard in the workshop. I even used it to dry my date's hair after a run to the car from the pub one night. Gave off a funny (burning hair) smell at the time though.

Russ42
Building a Reputation

Thanks Mitchell. I do like the dental floss idea, if it is held on with double sided tape (I don't think it is and there is not frame). I will file that idea away for a future problem solve.

Clever Clogz @MitchellMc ! 👏

I have never even considered that trick!

Many thanks! 🙏🏻

Tyro 🤗

Tyro
Becoming a Leader

Hahaha .... so much for her $400 hairdo then!

Tyro
Becoming a Leader

Hi @Russ42 

I didn't check and thought heat guns were all pretty pricey ... maybe I mixed up my search for new tools to play with!  Alot of difference between a heat gun and a nail gun, huh?!

I also didn't realise you were experienced with diy-ing (having your own shed 'n' awl!)!  Apologies for appearing to undermine your skills - i bet you have more than I do!

I hope it goes well with the real estate!

Cheers 🤗

Russ42
Building a Reputation

She is a country girl. I think the $400 is a bit short.... 

Tyro
Becoming a Leader

I thought she might have gone with a different look and had a #1 re-style! 😂

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects