Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to remove floating shelves from my wall?

Former Workshop member
Not applicable

How to remove floating shelves from my wall?

Hi Guys,

bought floating shelves from amazon which came with its own adhesives that  you stick to the back of the shelves. They are very basic, white plastic and currently stuck to the wall. I am redoing my bedroom and wantedto remove them but even 30 mins with hari dryer as they suggested, I have bent the shelf while trying to removethem from the wall but the adhesive wont budge. I am looking for a method to remove them without damaging the paint as I am renting. 

Thanks for your help

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: I can't remove the floating shelfs from my wall

Hello @Former Workshop member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. Thank you so much for joining us and sharing your question about removing your floating shelf from your wall.

The problem with using a stronger source of heat like a heat gun is that it has the unintended consequence of peeling the paint instead of the glue. I suggest trying De-Solv-it 125ml Sticky Spot and Stain Remover. This has excellent adhesive softening properties and might be strong enough to remove your shelf. Another product is Un-du 118ml Adhesive Remover. I find that the scraper that it comes with is quite handy. However, please be aware that some of the glue and product removers could stain your wall.

If you have to touch up the wall, I suggest getting a piece of the paint from the wall no smaller than a 10 cent coin. Bring this to the paint desk at the store and ask for a colour match in a Taubmans 250ml Sample Pot White. They will then match your wall colour using the sample that you brought. 

Here is a link to our best advice: How do you match paint colours?

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Former Workshop member
Not applicable

Re: I can't remove the floating shelfs from my wall

Hi @EricL 

Thanks for your reply, I will try one and then the order. Simply painting the small parts of the wall isnt an issue. I just dont want paint and layers underneath coming off. I will write back the results,

thank you

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects