Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to remove residue of carpet glue from cement floor?

Bailey127
Finding My Feet

How to remove residue of carpet glue from cement floor?

Hi I'm removing carpet up from a cement floor but after using a chisel and a scaper,it still leaves the floor sticky to touch. I'm getting hybrid flooring done.

16937364658488952575870155821257.jpg

16937365105601469666664179487817.jpg

I've removed the carpet residue (photo 1) and scarpe off anything that is rough on the floor.My problem is the floor still feels sticky but smooth feel.(photo 2)Any help would be helpful

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to remove residue of carpet glue from cement floor?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Bailey127. It's terrific to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about preparing a floor.

The concern I have about a tacky floor is that the planks need to be able to move and expand and contract. If they are inadvertently stuck down to this residue it could potentially cause a buckling issue. 

How big is the area that you need to do? You could pick up some DIGGERS™ 1L Glue Rid and a quality hand or pole scraper and remove what glue remains. You'll need to ventilate the area well and wear appropriate PPE, including a respirator, gloves, face and eye protection and protective clothing.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: How to remove residue of carpet glue from cement floor?

Hi Mitchell

They say let your fingers do your walking...and this is a great example of it.

Thank you for your advice- much appreciated. The area will be quite large so I'm bringing the professionals in. I have bought quite a few scarpers from Bunnings over the last couple of weeks which has worked on the carpet but I will bow away from the next job to finish it.

Thanks again 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects