Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to remove sliding doors to replace rollers?

emheff
Finding My Feet

How to remove sliding doors to replace rollers?

Hello, looking to see if anyone has had a similar problem that they've found a solution for. 

We're trying to replace some spent rollers in our sliding glass doors original to the house (early 90s build). Unfortunately, even with the rollers fully adjusted up we don't get enough clearance over the lip of the frame to be able to remove the rolling door inwards. It looks as though the stationary door may need to be removed first in order to remove the sliding door outwards instead, however we haven't been able to find a way to do this either.

I've attached some photos to show the kind of door. Any help much appreciated! Thanks :smile:

20240120_111146.jpegUpper trackUpper trackLower track with high lip insideLower track with high lip insideLower trackLower trackOuter frame and doorsOuter frame and doors

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Unable to remove sliding doors to replace rollers

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @emheff. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about removing a sliding door.

You didn't mention it, so I'll go over how this door would typically be removed. Once you've retracted the rollers fully on the top and bottom, get a helper and each lift up the door. It should recess into the top track far enough for the bottom to swing away from the frame. Once out, the door can be lowered.

I suspect you might have already tried this, but I wanted to ensure you had. I've never seen a sliding door system where the outside panel needs to be removed first.

Remember your PPE when handling glass, including cut resistant gloves, safety glasses, a long-sleeved shirt and trouser and enclosed footwear. Be careful not to tap the glass or place it on a hard surface, as these panels can easily shatter. If in doubt, please enlist the services of a professional.

Please let me know if you have already tried that method.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi Mitchell,

Thank you very much for your reply. Sorry I didn't clarify in the original post but yes definitely tried this and the door won't clear the high part of the frame at the bottom. The metal of the door is right up to the metal of the frame at the top so not an issue of rollers not being properly retracted as far as we can tell, it simply doesn't fit out. All the doors in the house are of this design, so don't think it is an issue of the frame shifting/sinking either. 

All we have found for removing doors has been as you said, hence why we've become quite stumped by it. 

Thanks again!

Emily 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Interesting @emheff. So, how close do you get to the top of the frame with the bottom of the door? Are you a few millimetres off getting it to jump over, or nowhere near it? If you could try another door to see if it comes out as expected, that might qualify if something has gone wrong with the top rollers. There's a chance they've broken and are impeding the door from being fully pushed up. 

I haven't seen this before, but try the technique with the door fully retracted or in different positions. Perhaps there is something in the top runner preventing the door from being pushed up fully.

Mitchell

Thanks Mitchell, we're still at least 5mm or more from getting it over. We also don't seem to have any top rollers as even though there is the hole for adjusting them as for the bottom of the door, there is no screw for adjusting inside this, which is the same for all 3 doors like this in the house, none of which we are able to remove. We're getting someone in to have a look though as may be a bit beyond us. Thank you very much for taking the time to message!

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @emheff 

Please keep us updated with your progress, it would be interesting to know how the professional trades person will take the door off. Make sure to take notes.

Eric

Hi @EricL 
We've had someone out this morning, they did have to take the stationary glass panel out in order for the sliding door to be pulled outwards. Required a bit more prying than we were willing to risk ourselves to get the panel out as over the years with grime etc it had become fairly well stuck to the frame. There is only a single screw to remove as far as I saw. They had to do the same for another property near us, so may be an issue common to the door suppliers in our area, of that era. Thank you again for your time in replying!

Emily 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @emheff 

Thanks for the update, it's good to know that the sliding doors can be taken off. 

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing your sliding doors repaired.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects