Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to remove sticky tape from ceiling without damaging the paint?

ennoh
Building a Reputation

How to remove sticky tape from ceiling without damaging the paint?

I was visiting friends yesterday and noticed that the wife had covered a large ceiling vent with plastic which was affixed with sticky tape.   Apparently dust would fall out of the vent onto the dining table so she took action to prevent this.   The property is a rental and I fear that if the sticky tape is removed, the ceiling paint will come with it.   Any suggestions on how to remove it without making it look obvious?  I don't want the managing agents taking the whole bond in order to repaint the whole ceiling.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: removing sticky tape from ceiling without damaging the paint

Hello @ennoh

Thanks for sharing your question about removing sticky tape from your ceiling. My first suggestion would be to try and slowly and gently peel the tape off the ceiling. If the tape was not pushed on with great force there's every possibility that you'll be able to remove it without damaging the ceiling paint. 

If it looks like it is stuck, I suggest using Un-du 118ml Adhesive Remover or similar. I recommend testing it in a hidden corner first to make sure it will not leave an oil stain on your ceiling. Another method is to use Diggers 125ml Isopropyl Cleaning Alcohol and a cotton bud to gently melt the adhesive while peeling it off. Several passes will be necessary to remove all the sticky residue left on the ceiling.

If none of the suggested methods works, I propose cutting the tape and trying to minimise its profile. Should tape damage occur your only option is to use Taubmans Easycoat Flat White Ceiling Paint - 1L to repair the damage.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
ennoh
Building a Reputation

fantastic suggestions!!!!!

thanks Eric!

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @ennoh

Just to add to the suggestions I made, I also recommend using a vacuum cleaner to suck all the dust that's stuck in the vent. In this manner, there will be no more random dust bunnies that will be falling down from the ceiling.

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing the tape safely removed from your friend's ceiling.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects