Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to repaint coloured feature wall?

LivMitch
Cultivating a Following

How to repaint coloured feature wall?

Hi There,

I have:

a loungeroom green feature wall

a spareroom mango feature wall

a bedroom all walls in the same green (photo attached)

All these rooms have abundant natural light.

I am repainting all walls to Natural White using Dulux UltraAir Interior Primer and Dulux UltraAir Interior Walls Low Sheen. 

FEATURE WALLS

1) Do I apply 2 UltraAir Dulux Primer undercoats and 2 top coats Dulux Interior Walls to make sure there's a colour match with the existing white walls? 

2) Or 1 UltraAir Dulux Primer undercoat and as many coats of Dulux UltraAir Interior Walls as I need to ensure matching white walls?

ALL-GREEN BEDROOM

3)  Given all walls are green, how many coats of Dulux Primer and Dulux Interior Walls should I use to achieve Natural White?

Both the green and the mango colours are a 'medium density' colour I would say.  Not like a deep rich burgundy for example.  

Thanks for your assistance, much appreciated!

Liv

Green wall with white cornice contrastGreen wall with white cornice contrastmango wallmango wall

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to repaint coloured feature wall?

Hello @LivMitch 

Thanks for sharing your question about repainting your coloured feature wall. The general sequence is to apply a minimum of two coats of the UltraAir Interior Primer. The purpose of the primer is to neutralize the colour of the wall and bring it back to a neutral white so that the colour tone of the old paint will not travel through. 

It is sometimes necessary to apply a third coat if the old colour is so dark that you can still see a hint of its colour coming through the primer. 

I also suggest putting on two coats of the Dulux UltraAir Interior Walls so that you get full coverage and get the Natural white colour tone you are after.

It's important to keep in mind that each room in the house has a different amount of light coming into it. Even walls next to each other receive a different amount of light. It's critical to take this into consideration when you paint the walls. If the same amount of light was shining uniformly over the entire house then it would be possible to see a uniform colour finish.

But this is not how the real world works and because of the shadows and other colours in the room, it will look like the Natural white colour your after will look different from the natural white in the spare room or bedroom. You'll see the immediate difference with morning and afternoon sunlight.

Please make sure to use personal protection such as gloves, goggles and a paint mask when painting your walls.

Here is a handy step-by-step guide: How to paint like a professional by @Peggers

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
LivMitch
Cultivating a Following

Re: How to repaint coloured feature wall?

Hi Eric,

Terrific! Thanks again, you've saved me so much time researching conflicting ideas on Google.

Have a great day,

Liv 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects