Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to repaint door?

diynoobie
Finding My Feet

How to repaint door?

How can I paint this so to get a good coverage without having to do the whole door again?

8ADEE1BA-B9F7-4BCB-AB57-3FF149DD7205.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to repaint door?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @cheryllchuah. It's brilliant to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about painting a door.

Is it just this section that the paint hasn't covered sufficiently, or are there other areas? You could attempt to touch these areas up with additional paint, but you'll get the best results if you paint the entire door with another solid coat. I'd suggest touching up the areas with another coat and seeing if you are happy with the results; if not, paint the whole door.

Please let me know if you have questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi @diynoobie 

@MitchellMc  is  right you will get a  much better finish repainting all over as a even a different brush will leave a  possible different texture. Even if you painting out of the same  paint can colours need to be mixed in properly.

Sorry to say Dont forget to remove door handle and door jamb metal  hardware before painting  if your skill  lets you.as  tape masking  not always so precise. Use you  phone  camera to record where the door bits are  positioned as you dismantle them at need

If you are  using exact paint colour if you are careful  you can cheat painting near the door glass and not go right into the corner touching the glass using artist small  paint brush. this  will save on masking up and avoiding paint bleeds onto glass and having to scrap  paint off.  This seams ironic painting full door  but missing a  paint slither but if you are careful this will save you extra time and work.  But  mask up  windows with good quaility masking tape ask at  Bunnings  paint section for the non bleed tape.

Hello @diynoobie

I'm in total agreement with @MitchellMc and @Jewelleryrescue. Repainting the entire door will give you a nice uniform finish. I know you were keen to just do a bit of the door, but giving your exterior door a uniform finish means that the paint will be evenly spread and provide you with even protection. 

I suggest using Bear 24mm x 50m Washi 14 Days Masking Tape. It will provide you with a superior seal and resists bleed-through. It provides clean sharp lines and has UV resistance. Make sure to use Pro Renovator 38mm Plastic Scraper to make sure that the tape is flush with the surface.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

It’s just this section, but have take. On board all tips

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects