Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to repair a bowing TV cabinet?

Bhavin2
Just Starting Out

How to repair a bowing TV cabinet?

How do it level or straighten the tv cabinet in the centre? It has caved inwards and  one of the legs on the left hand side has a gap.

20230929_142446.jpg

20230929_142453.jpg

  

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: level tv cabinet

Hi @Bhavin2,

It appears that the design's leg joints and panel length are unsuitable to support the unit. I'd suggest adding some type of support midway to prevent the top and bottom panels from bowing further. This could be a chock of timber under the unit. At this stage, since the leg appears to be failing, you need to address that by re-glueing and re-inforcing the joint.

I'd be inclined to remove your TV and flip the unit upside down. Re-glue and clamp the leg and possibly add a bracket to support it. You can then add some additional legs in the middle of the unit to help support its weight and stop the bowing. Since the unit has bowed significantly, it might take some time to unbow. Please be advised that since this unit is holding a TV, the repairs must be capable of holding its weight. The falling TV could cause a significant injury if the repairs or legs fail. Falling TVs have caused deaths, and I'd urge you to either repair the unit sufficiently or replace it at your earliest convenience.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects