Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to repair damaged door?

Ashley2
Just Starting Out

How to repair damaged door?

This is my first ever post here but I thought I’d give it ago. So my young child decided to carve scribble into my lounge room door. I got a quote for it and it’s hundreds of dollars for a small amount of damage. Can I fix it myself? Can anyone recommend a fairly priced company to fix it? I don’t want to spend 300+ for such minor damage. Any help would be much appreciated!

D02862F2-3D42-4E20-99DA-4BA81DDA6E00.jpeg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to repair damaged door?

Hi @Ashley2,

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's great to have you join us.

I'm sure this is a simple repair job that you can do yourself. Could we just please trouble you for a little more detail about the damage so we can understand what we're looking at and make sure we provide appropriate advice?

Can you confirm that the blue is the undercoat that has been scratched off? What are the black marks - crayon or pen? And what is the cream-coloured mark?  

Many thanks,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Ashley2
Just Starting Out

The blue isn’t crayon or pen. It’s the layer underneath. The cream coloured spot is also the door. It’s a small amount of damage my hand could cover it and I got quoted hundreds of dollars doesn’t seem right to me. Thanks for the reply!

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Ashley2 

Thanks for sharing your question about repairing your damaged door. If you are after a quick cosmetic repair, I suggest sanding the surface of the damaged area with 240grit sandpaper. Wipe the surface clean with Parfix Sugar Soap Wipes. Let the surface dry off and fill the damage with UNi-PRO 500g Multi Purpose Interior Filler - 500g.

Your objective is to put just enough filler to cover the damage and not overfill the area. Too much filler will make it tedious to sand the area down. Once the filler has cured, I suggest using a UNi-PRO Cork Sanding Block in combination with your sandpaper. This will give you a nice level finish.

Once you've levelled the filler wipe the surface with your sugar soap wipe and let it dry off. At this point if you are not too fussed with colour matching, you can paint over the damage using a Dulux 250ml White Sample Pot and a regular brush.

However, a proper repair means that you'll need to sand the entire side of the damaged area and repaint the entire side of the door. 

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects