Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to repair entry screen door jam?

MCol
Finding My Feet

How to repair entry screen door jam?

The latch plate and wood door jam frame where the outside screen door closes came off when pushed too hard.  What's the best way to repair this? Replace the whole door jam frame or replace a new piece of wood where the old latch was and reattach the latch to it?

IMG_20231212_143158336.jpg

IMG_20231212_143253428.jpg

DIYGnome
Building a Reputation

Re: How to repair entry screen door jam?

Hello @MCol wow that wasn't too secure was it?

Personally I would remove the damaged section (check the integrity of the door frame first) then replace with hardwood (not pine) if the frame is still in good condition, install the new section with the longest wood screws you can purchase (and fit) in both orientations to reinforce the repair, paint and seal against moisture ingress.

Straighten the striker plate (or buy a new one) and once again install using the longest wood screws the frame will accommodate.

Additional reference @ https://www.acmelocksmith.com/articles/how-to-reinforce-entry-door/

Akanksha
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

A warm welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, @MCol. We're excited to have you be part of our community and hope you find the site a handy resource for all your home improvement and garden projects. 

Great to see you've received advice from @DIYGnome. Our resident Bunnings D.I.Y. expert @EricL will also be happy to help when he's back online on the site later today. Let me also tag @Dave-1@Jewelleryrescue and @JoeAzza in case they have any thoughts.

Thanks for your patience in the meantime.

Akanksha

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Morning @MCol 

Having a second look at it (was going to reply earlier but work came up :smile: )

That plate over the top tends to make me think it was there to cover the cracked part up.

A few questions, do you know the depth that the screws can go into the timber (The brick wall may be right behind the timber is what I am thinking about)

You could replace the plate with a new plate and then attach the kicker to it the same way as existing. Then put longer screws into the door frame. (Id put 4 countersunk screws in)

Front entrance door renovation is my project where I fixed up my screen door, If you look at step 5 you can see how I have two plates over each other. This is because I have the same type of issue (didnt know it was there until I redid the door lol) The metal plate screws are covered by the door itself when closed so no one can undo them. The plates provide the mechanical protection to stop the door being opened. 

You can replace the timber but that could be a largish job. 

Welcome to the community :smile: Thats a nice job to have first up but definently doable. Ther are a lot of questions and answers in here along the same lines as you.

Dave

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @MCol 

Thanks for sharing your question about repairing your door jamb. I'm in agreement with @DIYGnome and @Dave-1 on the suggested repair procedures. Although it is possible to replace the entire door frame it will be a very involved undertaking. Whereas replacing the damaged portion is reasonably easy to accomplish.

I suggest using a Multi Tool with a plunge blade so that you can precisely cut out the damaged portion of the door frame. Once you've chosen your replacement material, I suggest using a combination of heavy-duty screws and Selleys 350g Liquid Nails Heavy Duty. I suggest making sure that the measurements for the re-installation of the striker plate is correct. You want to avoid the plate being offset or loose when it is put back into place.

The striker plate will doing double duty and that is it will hide the mounting screws for the repairs made and hold the screen door when it is locked in place. I recommend double checking that the striker plate is still in good condition and can be straightened out before putting it back in place.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

MCol
Finding My Feet

Thankyou for your advice. I will give this a go.

Akanksha
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Good luck @MCol.

Keep us updated how you go and please don't hesitate to post if you have additional questions.

Akanksha

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects