Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to repair flaking paint on doors, skirtings and bookshelf?

diynoobie
Finding My Feet

How to repair flaking paint on doors, skirtings and bookshelf?

Unfortunately, these doors, skirtings and bookshelf were newly painted but the painter we paid to do this has refused to come back further to fix additional flaking that has happened within. 3 weeks of complete if job.

the old paint was high sheen oil enamel, and we painted over with low sheen aqua enamel. I believe the painter did use primer but for whatever reason it was not prepped properly and flaking has occurred in areas that have not been touched.

im hoping to do a final coat in a aqua enamel satin finish to provide more durability as we don’t like the glossy look

B0937E1E-B0F0-474D-8DA0-2448E615A83D.jpeg

77B31292-68E1-4BA5-919B-4BD8E6DBA4D4.jpeg

C1E5063D-4FB7-4CCF-A29D-DDD6CCD3158A.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to repair flaking paint on doors, skirtings and bookshelf?

Hello @diynoobie 

Thank you for sharing your question about the flaking paint on your doors, skirting and bookshelf. The common reasons for paint flaking are poor preparation, incorrect paint process and paint product failure. If your painter had used the correct primer there would be no peeling or flaking. If you still have some of the original paint left over you can use that to fix the damages. 

I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news. But if there was very poor surface preparation the paint will continue to peel off. Painting the current paint surface with Aquanamel will partially reinforce the surface of the paint, but it will not stop the flaking and peeling. The ideal process would have been to either sand the original surface or use Dulux 1L PRECISION Maximum Strength Adhesion Primer White

I suggest trying to contact your painter and asking them what primer they used on your door, skirting board and bookshelf. We'll then be able to determine if it was ideal to use on the surfaces you mentioned. 

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects