Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to replace LED power supply?

dwerer
Getting Established

How to replace LED power supply?

Hi team,

I'm trying to buy a replacement for the below. 

Will you be able to provide me with advice on what to look out for when buying this?

And can you link me with a product in Bunnings to make a purchase please?

Thank you

428122347_369008016072131_3179858764069609167_n.jpg

Jewelleryrescue
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: LED Power Supply

Hi @dwerer 

I use those 240v led modules  myself takes the smaller led round  globes like the old  halogens

Now days the  new  trend is the  DIY plug in 240v  lights. Big and chunky bulb and fitting all in one.  So over priced and if they fail thats a $30 dollar light bulb  fix.  instead of a  led bulb at $4.

So  the  best  place is a  lighting store for a  one off.   Or  ebay  if you want a  few spares. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @dwerer,

We have the Deta 12V 15W Dimmable Electronic Transformer - For LED Globes, but your transformer outputs 15-20V. You'd likely need to speak with an electrician to determine whether this would be an appropriate transformer for your light. What globes are you running with it?

Let me tag @CSParnell for his thoughts.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
dwerer
Getting Established

Hi team. Please find below globe. Let me know if you need any further information please 

20240218_151203.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @dwerer,

So these are one of those independent systems @Jewelleryrescue was mentioning that don't have a replacement globe. Typically, if the transformer or the globe blows, you need to replace them both. Because it's a proprietary system, you might struggle to find a replacement transformer. From our range, you'd need to take the globe into a store and have a look at our LED downlights to find the closest-looking system to replace it with.

Mitchell

dwerer
Getting Established

Hi. I've tested the globe on a different outlet and it was working. So I think it might just be the transformer. 

So should I try to replace the whole transformer that uses a typical light bulb? How difficult is this process?

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

I'd imagine @MitchellMc would be encouraging you to seek out a qualified electrician @dwerer. But unfortunately Mitch has had to take some unexpected leave. Let me tag some other experienced members: @MikeTNZ and @CSParnell to see if they can share their thoughts.

Jason

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @dwerer 

It's great that you've made a determination of which part is damage. However, as MitchellMc has mentioned proprietary systems work best together. Using a third-party spare part will not carry any warranties with it and its performance will be unpredictable.

I suggest replacing the entire set so that you'll know that it will work properly and is covered with a warranty. Just a friendly reminder that any electrical work needs to be done by a registered electrician.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects