Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to replace a no starter ballast in NSW?

az1d3
Just Starting Out

How to replace a no starter ballast in NSW?

I replaced the fluorescent tubes last weekend which is usually what I do when the light is no longer working. It did not solve the problem so I started looking for the starter to replace and I realised that this one no longer has it. This one seems to be using a rapid start or instant start ballast which has the starter integrated to the ballast as per my quick reading online. I know traditional ballast needs to be changed by an electrician. My questions are:

1. Can we change this ballast ourselves say we know how to turn off the meter switch and take baseline precautions e.g. insulation and proper gears?

2. If an electrician will have to do this, is it better for me to buy the ballast and have it installed or just let the electrician buy and install?

Thanks!

ballastballastIMG_3495.jpgIMG_3498.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Is it ok to replace a no starter ballast in NSW?

Hello @az1d3 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's marvellous to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about your starter ballast.

In this particular instance, I suggest engaging the services of a registered electrician to change your ballast. Not only is it for your safety, but this type of repair must be carried out by a registered electrician. The electrician will give you a receipt for the work done which carries a warranty. This also covers you for insurance should anything happen.

It's possible that the electrician will have a compatible ballast in their vehicle. However, if you do decide to purchase your own ballast, I recommend making sure that it is exactly the same as the one you have in your light fitting. If the electrician decides not to use it, just make sure that you have your docket so that you can refund the product.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects