Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to replace vinyl tiles?

Linda59
Just Starting Out

How to replace vinyl tiles?

I recently had a flood in my apartment from using a washing machine.. the water got into my bedroom.. iv pulled up carpet and underlay and the old vinyl tiles where lifting off floor.. so i decided to lift them all off also and i now have a concrete floor that has chips taken from it and alot of adhesive glue left on concrete..i have bought adhesive glue remover that is helping make removing the glue easier.. but after removing the adhesive, i believe i gotta somehow make the surface smooth before I try and lay some new vinyl tiles..im 60yrs and don't know what I doing and on a extremely tight budget.. what should I do next and what do i buy to patch up small chipping in concrete floor? 

16616853296804942186811961894909.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to replace vinyl tiles?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Linda59. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about laying vinyl tiles.

As you've mentioned, that floor looks a little rough, and any lumps and bumps will show through the tiles. You might be better off will vinyl sheet flooring, which tends to be thicker and has a padded backing. Some of the planked designs look quite nice, and I have the Senso Lifestyle 3m Wide Newport Pecan Sheet Vinyl Flooring in my laundry. 

Given the damage to the floor and remaining glue, I'd recommend laying masonite underlay over the area before adhering the tiles. This will give you a perfectly smooth surface to work off.

If you wish to continue with the existing floor, you could fill that damaged area with timber filler. A floor scraper could come in handy for removing any of the remaining lumps of glue.

You should find this step-by-step guide on How to lay vinyl plank flooring useful.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects